Trusted Contributor

Re: Scam alert - User Interviews - Privy Health - DNA testing for seniors

@PodyPo Your friend was born in a different time. The world and time didn't move as fast as it does now. It's their nature to fear new things in their lives because they're safe with the old, when ppl were mostly honest. I'm sure there are many brilliant ppl who apply their smarts to not getting a great job, but rather figuring an almost fool proof way of scamming ppl. Those are the kind of ppl that make us cynical.

Thank you for sharing this scam, I'll have to tell my Mom.

Respected Contributor

That kind of stuff, among other reasons, is why I permanently deleted my Facebook account.

Esteemed Contributor

I agree with the other poster......people just aren't as honest as they used to be,,,,,

Honored Contributor

There are many "Medicare" scams going around.  Mostly seniors receive a phone call requesting their Medicare number to bill for something.  " need number to bill for lab charges"

They also call and ask you questions to see if you have a bad back, a sore foot, etc.  they promise you a brace for free paid for by Medicare...

they just need your number.

Now that the SS numbers are no longer on the Medicare cards, they are limited on what they can do, but Medicare receives and pays for millions of dollars of bogus goods every year from fake or dishonest companies. They are ripping off the Medicare program.

Never, never give out your SS or Medicare number over the phone or online. If someone asks, just hang up.

Honored Contributor

How sad.  Some seniors need help with their finances, hopefully one of their children will volunteer. And I mean this in the most charitable way, it's not to hoard the money for a future inheritance, but to ensure the senior can maintain the same standard of living for the rest of their life. 

Super Contributor

@software wrote:

I'm going to regret asking this but how did they get her DNA if it's a FB "interview"?

I've read your post twice and i don't get it.

If I were to take part in something that pays me, I would have to get my payment when they took the blood or saliva or whatever, not after.

Did they scam her for her Medicare information?  If so she needs to report this as fraud, it's very easy to do throught 

No, please don’t regret asking, I was not clear. They advertised on FB and signed her up to attend an interview, which is where the swab was taken. They had led her to believe she would get the card at the test but the person said they had “just given out their last ones” and it would be mailed. Neither card or report had shown up the last I spoke with her, a few days ago.

I completed the trial on July 18th. When I didn’t receive my gift card as stated in a follow up email I called Julian. About five days later card arrived although I have not attempted to use it as of yet. 

Respected Contributor

I still have a FB account but if you go back to when I joined years ago I rarely start a post/thread myself and when I do it's nothing that anyone can glean info about me and my photos are all of things, not ppl - I'm very careful about that and do my own due diligence for anything I want to buy or services I need performed - never hire based on FB info. 

My sister is the same way and recently asked why I haven't deleted my account.  I told her that it's the only way I can keep up with a certain dysfunctional part of our family - they post about every little detail about fights among each other - it's not that which I care about as much as it's pretty entertaining to see how truly stupid they really are and never fails - the following week two that were ranting and raging over each other are now friends and someone else is in their radar!

Honored Contributor

@PodyPo.  You need to advise your friend to contact the Consumer Fraud Division of your state's Attorney General's Office and file a complaint.  Perhaps they can facilitate her getting her money back.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

Another  scam ...... shoot, I  must get about  7 a  day on my emails from banks.  And I am not a  senior.. The heads  up.. do  not give  out any  information  period!