Super Contributor

Scam alert - User Interviews - Privy Health - DNA testing for seniors

My friend got taken in by this and I want to warn you.

User Interviews recruits via Facebook to get seniors to sign up for DNA testing through Privy Health headquartered near Chicago IL, but the tests are being conducted nationwide. They promise a $75 gift card and “free” DNA report for participating.

They require Medicare insurance and bill your insurance company for the test. They say there will be no co-pay.

They scanned her insurance card and driver license, took saliva, did not send the gift card or report.

She has been trying to get her payment for over 6 weeks, and they have multiple excuses but she has gotten no results.

Be warned, do not be involved with this. If you see ads on Facebook or other social media, report them.

Honored Contributor

Re: Scam alert - User Interviews - Privy Health - DNA testing for seniors

I stopped at recruits through FB.  After that the story writes itself and I have no sympathy at all for someone who gets involved in something that actually screams scam.  Some people are just to naive to be on FB.

Super Contributor

@chrystaltree Yes, my friend is very naieve. A few years ago she gave her bank info to the African prince guys. She is not bright. But she has other redeeming qualities!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

My  Dad was very savvy when younger- but in his 80's would have fallen for this. These scammers prey on seniors- fortunately he had me for his reality check! 

Honored Contributor

A  couple of years ago a friend of mine (84 or so) got a phone call about a free "alert system--in case you fall, etc."  They said she had to send $10.   She wasn't able to write a check and doesn't use credit cards so somehow they got her to give them her account information over the phone.  She never did get the item.  Got concerned and had to go to the bank to get her account changed, new checking account, etc.   Caused her a lot of worries.

Super Contributor

@Ibby114 So glad your Dad had you to look after him! ❤️

My my friend is much older than I. If she had told me in advance I would have stopped it.

Unfirtunately, she needed the extra money. Which she did not even receive.

Many seniors live on limited income and might be lured in by this offer. That’s why I posted this warning.

Honored Contributor

If you use facebook a nice thing to use is an add on called FAcebook Purity it blocks ads, and anything else you might want to block

The right side of my facebook page is blank 

Trusted Contributor

My mother's friend had an early onset of Altzeimers but nobody knew. She gave her personal information to an "Arab prince". She must have known it was wrong because she didn't tell anyone for the longest time until the bank notified her daughter that a lot of money was going out of her account. She had been very well off but they had to put a morgage on her house, it had been paid off for years. She died in a nursing home, not being able to recognize anyone and thinking her husband and brothers were still alive. Such a shame...

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@wishmoon such a sad story. So sorry to hear what happened. It’s always good to keep an eye on elders, without making them feel spied upon.

My friend gave her info out as well, and she doesn’t have dementia. She is just too trusting and frankly, needs more income and sometimes gets involved in the wrong things because of that.

Honored Contributor

I'm going to regret asking this but how did they get her DNA if it's a FB "interview"?

I've read your post twice and i don't get it.

If I were to take part in something that pays me, I would have to get my payment when they took the blood or saliva or whatever, not after.

Did they scam her for her Medicare information?  If so she needs to report this as fraud, it's very easy to do throught their website.

I feel bad for her.   It does sound like a scam and she needs to report it.