Honored Contributor

Re: Saying NO to overnight house guest request

@petepetey, I would not want them to stay either, i love it when family use to come and stay,  we had a good time ,but what you are speaking of ,i would not .

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@dex wrote:

It sounds like a sad situation for the kids.I remember growing up and not having the money for vacation.My mom was single and worked to earn just enough to pay our bills without frills.We vacationed in our back yard under a blanket tent with those cute boxes of cereal that you eat right out of...we thought that was an amazing treat though LOL.

Too bad that you couldn't send the kids a little fun money for ice cream or movies to celebrate the summer.

No she should not do that!!! As  a kid in the 50's,and 60's ,we had one vacation,i was 13 at the time, i lived and so did my brother.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

I just don't understand the nerve of people.

Id never ask to stay at someone's house, I even feel guilty when DD insists I stay at her house when visiting, she has 5 kiddos and I know it throws their routine off.

One thing I like about having a little house with no extra bedroom, visitors must get a hotel. 

You did the right thing by saying no.

Respected Contributor

I have lots of people insist that they just "must" come stay with me when I'm at the beach. I never say "I'm sorry" when turning down someone's request to mooch a free place to stay. I simply say "I'm not able to have houseguests, but here is a list of hotels in the area, please feel free to pick something in your price range and perhaps we'll be able to meet for lunch one day".  Self inviters are never successful with me. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

after reading this thread, i feel like i may be the only one who actually has houseguests/family stay with us......and usually enjoy it.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

I adore when my sons and their family, my parents, husband's mother, his sister, my sister and maybe 3 girlfriends .All of them know how to behave and know when to leave. Other than that I do not enjoy company in my home. I am okay with that. 

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Esteemed Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

@dex wrote:

It sounds like a sad situation for the kids.I remember growing up and not having the money for vacation.My mom was single and worked to earn just enough to pay our bills without frills.We vacationed in our back yard under a blanket tent with those cute boxes of cereal that you eat right out of...we thought that was an amazing treat though LOL.

Too bad that you couldn't send the kids a little fun money for ice cream or movies to celebrate the summer.

No she should not do that!!! As  a kid in the 50's,and 60's ,we had one vacation,i was 13 at the time, i lived and so did my brother.

@goldensrbest

Ditto!  My dad would scrape/paint the house, do yardwork, etc. on vacation. Plus my parents had a huge garden to tend to (which fed us, friends and neighbors!). As a yough child my mum's sister had died and her babies, 2mos and 20mos.m came to ive with us. My uncle was a basebal umpire western league so used to travel. He eventually remarried and took the boys but every summer vacation they'd live with us. At the same time my mum's father became bedridden. Everyone wanted to put him in a nrsg home except my folks, so my grandfather came to live with us. Needless to say, I only went on vacation once in awhile with my other cousins. Guess what, I've survived quite well!  Actually, just thought summer vacation was just a great time at home and with friends. I think in those days, most middle-class families didn't really "vacation".

Honored Contributor

He should be able to pass a 'test', if you ask me.   Enough said.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@eddyandme wrote:

@goldensrbest wrote:

@dex wrote:

@goldensrbest

Ditto!  My dad would scrape/paint the house, do yardwork, etc. on vacation. Plus my parents had a huge garden to tend to (which fed us, friends and neighbors!). As a yough child my mum's sister had died and her babies, 2mos and 20mos.m came to ive with us. My uncle was a basebal umpire western league so used to travel. He eventually remarried and took the boys but every summer vacation they'd live with us. At the same time my mum's father became bedridden. Everyone wanted to put him in a nrsg home except my folks, so my grandfather came to live with us. Needless to say, I only went on vacation once in awhile with my other cousins. Guess what, I've survived quite well!  Actually, just thought summer vacation was just a great time at home and with friends. I think in those days, most middle-class families didn't really "vacation".

We had the family lakehouse with the three sisters, their spouses and all my cousins.  The lake was only about 15 minutes from our hometown so we did not go far to enjoy our family outings.  More often than not we went to the same lake and popped up a big tent and stayed for a week with our boat tied to up and skied and cooked on Coleman Stove.  Never going into town or the lakehouse even once, we loved it.  Sometimes but not often we hooked the travel tent to the back of the car and made the four hr. drive to Galveston.  That was about it for vacation.  The lakehouse was awesome but camping was the life.  But not once did we ever call a family member or a friend and invite ourselves to their homes as an alternative to a hotel/motel, not even for a night.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Wow, I admire you for saying NO!  You did the right thing.

Many of us should follow your lead and just say NO.