Honored Contributor

Re: Saying NO to overnight house guest request

[ Edited ]

The thought that always runs through my mind is:  if you let someone in, how do you get them out if you have to.  Trust your instincts, no guilt. It's self-protection.  

Came back to add:  old saying of "you made your bed, now lay in it".  

Esteemed Contributor

Her husband probably put her up to it - for no telling what reason. He probably wanted a week where someone else would be taking care of his family, and he could disappear and party all week long!

Honored Contributor

Just the fact that she would ask makes me wonder what else she'd be asking for. I'd be very wary too. 

Super Contributor

So true !!!   I am not wild for house guests nor do I like to be one. We live in a waterfront community and when we moved, had more than a few "subtle hints for invites". For some reason someone implied that we "could watch the kids / the kids could stay with you b/c you are so much fun !!!"   (I AM fun but kid-sitting is not gonna' happen).

Our place is small and our second bedroom is my home office. We are in a condo community so of course there are noise restrictions etc. But still I don't feel guilty about not picking up on the hints that people drop---- thank goodness for having living in a gated community--lol

Honored Contributor

My standard line when anyone I don't vwant to come to Fl. & stay with us "I'm sorry, we have plans." or "Oh , no someone else has the guest room booked that week already."

Honored Contributor

You seem to think you need an excuse or that the husband is applying for a government job with you...lol   None of that matters.  You don't want house guests, especially with kids.  That alone would make me say "sorry".   I agree, people who want to go on vacation should save for their vacation and that includes a hotel....unless they have been invited to visit.  Don't go into any detail and don't make any excuses, just tell them that this is not a convient time for houseguests.  Also keep it short and don't say "perhaps some other time" because they will take that to be an invitation.  

Respected Contributor

I neither lie nor make excuses.  I have learned to say, "That will not work for us," then let silence ensue.  Notice I do not include "sorry," as that goes back to not lying. 

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

@petepetey As others have stated, I would never EVER invite myself to stay at someone's home nor would I ASSUME I could and either call and inform the person or worse, just show up!  I've witnessed this first hand in my family and my husbands' family and wow, just wow.

I've told people "No" many times. Why? I simply don't want them in my house. The routine is upset, it costs me $$$$ (rarely do people offer to pay their share of anything) and it's not fun after 48 hours. Also, there are some people who are not allowed in my home because I don't like them. If I don't like you, you're not coming into MY circle of peace, nope, nope, nope.

Stand tall and do what works for YOU and YOUR family.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

What? 7 days, whole family, 2 small kids?  Wow, that is gutsy of them... huge imposition, and putting you intentionally in awkward position!

I would never have the chutzpah to do that to someone and  I would never say yes as a host-   You have nothing to apologize for nor feel guilty about-  glad you wee strong enough to say what you wanted.  If you had said yes, I would bet it might be an annual event!  Free vacation for the family!! 

Remember, houseguests are like fish.... after couple days, they smell - 

Respected Contributor

People that not immediate family that invitethemselves basically want you to house and feed them for a week. thats a burden. I would only say yes  if  it was a close relative like a brother or sister, mother or father