Honored Contributor

Delaware, adjacent to a huge outlet mall on US 1

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

What part of the country is this?

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.

Yes unfortunately it is true. My friend sent me a notification posted in the store.  Of all the outlets, the remodeled Rehobeth was the nicest. So sorry to see it go.  Several months ago I read that QVC will be closing many of it's facilities in the US.  Hope that is not true.

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

@dude-e  If the property is vacant, the landlord can write it off as a loss/business expense on their taxes. It's a win-win for them.

When the tidal wave of foreclosures hit years ago, I couldn't understand why a bank would keep a house instead of accepting a contract on it (shortsale) that was $10-20,000 less than the mortgage. Wouldn't it be better to have the property sold than sitting there, falling apart for years? 

NO. It was better because they could write it off as an expense and then when it sold, write off the difference as a loss.

Lessons learned, let me tell you. Landlords/bank do NOTHING that will cost THEM money, trust me.

@SahmIam

We have one in my family.  It is called a "zombie house."  What was once a beautiful house is now crumbling apart, the grass is so high and the landscaping so devoured by deer that it looks like something out of a hideous scary movie.  It is flooded inside and mold everywhere, even up the walls and high ceilings.  Nothing can be done to it but tear it down.

Most tragic of all is it has brought down the values of all the surrounding homes.  There should be a law against this.  Nothing the former owners can do about it, as that mortgage was foreclosed years ago.  It just sits there in its horrible state.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

@LilacTree

So good to see you .... I was thinking about you MIA the other day!   I hope all is well.   Tink 

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@LilacTree

So good to see you .... I was thinking about you MIA the other day!   I hope all is well.   Tink 

@Tinkrbl44

Hi Tink!  Ortho doc made changes to my sling enabling me to get my hand out of it enough to type with both hands now.  It's still slow going and for only short spurts, but it's encouraging.  It will be a long haul, but eventually I'll get my shoulder back.  PT starts in three weeks.  I'm going to hate that, but I know it's necessary.

Had some family over yesterday and couldn't allow hugs!  That was a bummer.

Thanks for thinking about me! 

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986