Honored Contributor

Re: Say It Isn't So -- Charlie Watts Dead?

Speaking of Brian Wilson, he tweeted a very nice tweet about 

Watts and seemed very genuinely upset by Watts' death.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Drythe,

I am pleased that you posted about "Paint It Black."  Although I fleetingly think of "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" when I first think of the music of the Stones, the song that is primary in my mind is "Paint It Black."  

When I was on the island of Spetses in 1966, we would go to the outdoor dance clubs at night.  This song would blast while we rocked on, trying to act like (and some actually being) chic Jet Setters.  It was a hoot for me, someone loving Europe and trying to live the life I saw in films (up to a point, thank you).  My background was quite provincial and protected, but my relatives in Greece were wealthy and by luck, had a permanent vacation home on Spetses (a sort of Greek Hamptons, if you will).  My uncle's wife came from a seafaring family that bought the home when her grandfather was a sea captain.

The song perfectly reflects the mood after losing Charlie Watts, of course.

This was the time that Greek actress Melina Mercouri stole my date one night at an outdoor restaurant.  Yes, Melina was married to director Jules Dassin at that time, but this was her way.  Those who have read my posts for years might remember this rather insane moment in my life.  It was colorful. 

Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

Tinkrbl444   I wonder if your comment is contributed to the fact that he had a stable marriage for 67 years.  CW said he attributed his successful marriage to the fact that he met his wife before he became successful.  He just turned 80 in June before he transitioned.  He also appears less street worn than his successful fabulous fellow colleagues.  We will never know, but it is food for thought.

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

When you think of all the rock stars that died young .... Morrison, Joplin, Cobain, etc etc .... Charlie living to the ripe old age of 80 is really remarkable. 

RIP Charlie

@phoenixbrd 

Frankly, I didn't even know he was married.   

I heard recently that Mick Jagger has small children ....  it's a little too weird, but so are the lives of rock n roll stars.

Trusted Contributor

Thank you for all the years of great music!  RIP Mr. Watts!

Trusted Contributor

Rest in Peace, Charlie, our friend, contemporary, and inspiration!

Esteemed Contributor

@songbird wrote:

So upset when I heard about this.  I liked him SO much!  I wasn't that much of a fan of the Stones, but I sure liked him and Bill Wyman.  So much better than Mick and buddies. They were older, much better musicians.  Both came from Jazz backgrounds.  Bill has a wild streak in him, but Charlie was laid back, conservative.  Stayed married to his first wife, etc.  A good guy.  I'll miss him!

I also liked Bill Wyman and Charlie Watts.  But I heard Keith Richards is a really, really nice guy.  So I am a fan of his as well.  And he has been married forever.  

But poor Charlie.  Sad news.

Esteemed Contributor

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@golding76 

@just bee 

I would LOVE to see Frankie V., but he is still playing large venues and I don't do those.  I'm going to keep track of him for future concerts, however.

We've got tickets for Justin Hayward of the Moody Blues this September at a very small venue in Annapolis, MD.  He does a solo tour and the evenings are always relaxing and filled with tears and laughter listening to the music of our youth.

@Pearlee and I have discussed our love of Justin many times, but I figured since she had a lock on Sir Paul, I would take Justin. Cat LOL

He still looks and sounds fab, by the way.

I find these concerts very bittersweet, but I cannot help from wanting to go just the same.

Oh yes, he most certainly does look good.

Esteemed Contributor

@KingstonsMom I never knew he had throat cancer.  That’s a tough one.  Explains why he looked so thin.

Trusted Contributor

This is so sad. The Stones were a huge part of my youth. Like HUGE. I remember when I got my first apartment and playing the album "Tattoo You" constantly. Charlie kept the insane beats. Practically wore the album out. lol

Rest on a soft cloud Charlie.Heart

Respected Contributor

The Rolling stones are scheduled to start a new tour here in St. Louis on 10/23 (I believe that's the date) but Charlie was not scheduled to play the drums due to a medical condition. I believe they are now planning a huge tribute to him starting with  the tour. May he rest in peace