Esteemed Contributor

Re: Say It Isn't So -- Charlie Watts Dead?

This news makes me so sad.  Love the Stones and have been to so many of their tours starting in 1964 when they played at my home town football field.  Just very sad news.

Respected Contributor

Loved Charlie Watts since I was a teenager.  He brought so much joy to us with his drumming.  The Rolling Stones, and therefore history,  would not have been the same without him. Sad news indeed.

Honored Contributor

@spiderw wrote:

The Beatles were already a hit in America when the Stones rolled in.  I saw them on the Clay Cole show, their first appearance and fell in love.  In 1964 they did their first concert in America at Carnegie Hall and I was there front and center, loved!  I saw them many times after at small venues at NY, Tickets were seven dollars  and fifty cents, always in the first few rows too!  I loved them because they at the time played blues music because they admired our great blues singers.  Eventually the Stones became more original with their own great songs.

I am so sorry to hear of Charlie Watt's passing.  He was quiet and unassuming but a great drum player. He was there from the beginning.  I also remember Brian Jones passing when the Stones first started, sad at such a young age.  Charlie was a part of a group which still performs , its music timeless, legends.  May he be at peace. I am thankful for having the experience of seeing him and the Stones perform many times.  We have lost another great musician, his drums silenced and his many fans saddened.

@spiderw. 👍 @. "...when the Stones rolled in."

Respected Contributor

@golding76   Totally devastated- really sad news - knew he pulled out of tour but very sad news indeed.  End of an era.   Rest In Peace Charlie.

Honored Contributor

Witchy Woman,

Thank you for providing the link to Paul McCartney's poignant statement on the death of his good friend, compatriot and fellow rocker, Charlie Watts.  It was stirring on several levels.

At any age, mortality looms as a puzzling and sometimes frightening unknown, but as we  get into the end-game zone, the sting of loss grows a bit stronger.  Listening to McCartney's words, one can sense the sincere mourning of a good man -- a "rock" among the Stones -- and a fellow iconic musician.  There was a sense of bidding goodbye to a very good soul and an uncommon era.

These fellows belong to a very special club. 

Honored Contributor

My favorite band 🥰

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

When you think of all the rock stars that died young .... Morrison, Joplin, Cobain, etc etc .... Charlie living to the ripe old age of 80 is really remarkable. 

RIP Charlie

Honored Contributor

@golding76 wrote:

Witchy Woman,

Thank you for providing the link to Paul McCartney's poignant statement on the death of his good friend, compatriot and fellow rocker, Charlie Watts.  It was stirring on several levels.

At any age, mortality looms as a puzzling and sometimes frightening unknown, but as we  get into the end-game zone, the sting of loss grows a bit stronger.  Listening to McCartney's words, one can sense the sincere mourning of a good man -- a "rock" among the Stones -- and a fellow iconic musician.  There was a sense of bidding goodbye to a very good soul and an uncommon era.

These fellows belong to a very special club. 

@golding76  Sir Paul is 79, pretty much Charlie's age. Paul has to be thinking about his contemporaries dwindling away...

It makes me think of my own mother's funeral when she died at age 94. She had outlived most of her friends, thus attendance at her funeral was sparce.

Valued Contributor

@golding76  The Stones have been my favorite band since I can remember.  This is truly devastating to me.  RIP Charlie. 

Respected Contributor

Just heard it on the radio.  So sad.  Saw them in the 90's in NYC they we're fantastic.