Honored Contributor

Say It Isn't So -- Charlie Watts Dead?

[ Edited ]

One of my sons told me that a friend informed him that Rolling Stones drummer Charlie Watts just died.

I recently read he declined to tour because he had a heart procedure (I think).

Oh my, the end of an era.

May he rest in peace.

Charlie Watts

Rolling Stones star Charlie Watts forced to pull out of American tour after  emergency op in London hospital

Honored Contributor

Re: Say It Isn't So -- Charlie Watts Dead?

Sadly, this is true. So glad I caught them in 2005. 

The Stones.  A legend, for sure.

Honored Contributor

Yep it's true.

Respected Contributor

I was a young teen watching The Rolling Stones make their first appearance on the Ed Sullivan show.  Been listening to them for most of my life.  So sad to hear about Charlie's passing.  

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.
Trusted Contributor

Known as the quiet Rolling Stone, he wasn't showy, flamboyant as his bandmates, Mick, Keith and Ron.  RIP Mr. Watts.

Honored Contributor

So, so sad. Their music was epic, and the Stones seemed to never age.

We only got to see them once, but what a time it was! We have a neighbor who always manages to get great concert tickets. It was a while ago because I was still walking someone to the bus stop. He always stopped to visit while he was walking his dogs. We got into a conversation about them because they were performing near us. He asked me if we wanted to see them. He couldn't use the tickets he had. At first I thought he was joking. I ran home, called DH, and told him to get home early. Then I called our regular teenage babysitter's mom.

We had aisle seats in one of the front rows with the walkway into the audience right next to us. Mick sashayed right by me. So did Keith. Even back then he looked like he would fall over if you blew on him!

Charlie Watts- one talented drummer. But his music will stay with us!

Honored Contributor

And married for 57 years to the same woman - now there's a successful life lived.

R.I.P., Charlie.

Esteemed Contributor

@golding76 

Just read this and...felt another little piece of my heart and youth slip away.

I'm sure it will be crushing for his bandmates.

Rock on, Charlie Watts.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

And Heaven adds a great drummer to it's band.  And Brian Jones is there to welcome him.

Honored Contributor

From TMZ:

Charlie Watts, The Rolling Stones' only drummer for nearly 6 decades, died Tuesday in London ... TMZ has learned.

Charlie was in London's Royal Marsden Hospital when he passed away, and we're told Shirley -- his wife of nearly 57 years -- was by his side. The Stones announced earlier this month that Charlie, their eldest band member, would not be able to play during their upcoming tour because he needed time to recover from a procedure.

A rep for the group tells TMZ, "It is with immense sadness that we announce the death of our beloved Charlie Watts ... Charlie was a cherished husband, father and grandfather and also as a member of The Rolling Stones one of the greatest drummers of his generation."

The band did not reveal what the procedure was. Watts had been diagnosed with throat cancer in 2004, but after treatment it went into remission, and he and The Stones immediately launched into a 2-year-long world tour.

In fact, in the band's 58 years, Charlie's never missed a tour ... so it was already a big deal he wouldn't be with his mates -- Mick Jagger, Keith Richards and Ronnie Wood -- in September when they kick off their latest U.S. tour. As Charlie joked in a statement, "For once my timing has been a little off."

Rolling Stones Drummer Charlie Watts Dead at 80 (tmz.com)

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.