Respected Contributor

Re: Say A Prayer For Special Needs Children

@suzyQ3 wrote:

This is amazing. Those who regularly tell us we post too much about the virus have no compuntions about landing here to tell us that abused children are overlooked now -- so we need to send them back to school.

And if they become ill or make others ill? Well, they will all probably survive. After all, there is so much hype surrounding this so-called pandemic

A concerned grandparent posted this. I guess that's not allowed? You don't have to read it like you tell others constantly. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lali1 wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

This is amazing. Those who regularly tell us we post too much about the virus have no compuntions about landing here to tell us that abused children are overlooked now -- so we need to send them back to school.

And if they become ill or make others ill? Well, they will all probably survive. After all, there is so much hype surrounding this so-called pandemic

A concerned grandparent posted this. I guess that's not allowed? You don't have to read it like you tell others constantly. 

Thank you for remembering that I am not only a grandmother but a concerned one as well. My granchildren and whole family had Covid and are fine now. They are very fortunate.

What that has to do with my concerns about schools opening I have no clue, when we have not yet met the the most meager of benchmarks is folly.

Does anyone think that not having normal in-class teaching is a good thing??? Heck, no. But every segment of our society is hit with some devastating effects. It doesn't mean that we can just wish it wasn't so.

We can gradually get back to normal safely. Or we can ping-pong our way through this as we've been doing.

ETA: btw, I very much appreciated the OP's concern. My comment was at some of the responses. I have never suggested that certain topics not be allowed, as you have on many occasions.  I hope that's okay with you.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Lali1 wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Lali1 wrote:

Indeed! Also all the abused children who have no one to look out for them now. 

@Lali1  I don't understand about the abused children. Do you mean they live with abusive parents but are ok at school? 

Children who are abused don't get noticed when they are home. It's happening. Children often tell the teacher or the teachers sees the signs. Now they are just hidden. 

@Lali1  Oh, ok. I guess there are a lot of abused children in big city schools. It is always good if they are taken from their parents and placed with a good family. 

It's not just "big city schools" and I am amazed this is a revelation for you.

@Isobel Archer It is not a revelation. And I don't need your sarcasm. I have a number of family members who are teachers in NY and NJ and have not heard them say they have witnessed abused children. And one is an NYC teacher. Of course she teaches,high school so I imagine that would,have less abused. I grew up in a small town and did not have it there. I live in a small town now and have not heard of abused kids in my town. Now there are some poor towns in the county where that may be happening and I wouldn't hear it. Thanks for the chat.

Because you personally haven't heard of it, doesn't mean it is not happening - even in small towns.  I was a battered wife for years and people were so "surprised" when I finally left him and related what had been going on.  And I even had bruises that somehow no one ever "noticed."  Imagine.

With kids it's even worse.  And in this case, I was not being sarcastic.  I was truly surprised that even today people just don't want to know about abuse.

Honored Contributor

I'm praying for all the special needs chidren who will be back at school, that they are guarded and protected from catching this horrible disease while they are being educated. I pray there will be enough well trained staff who can ensure hygiene is perfectly observed to ensure no special needs kids get sick from this.

And I pray the same thing for all the kids who will have to be in harms way to get their education. I hope everyone who is agitating for this to occur know something I don't, because I don't see how this can spread so easily in nursing homes and on cruise ships, yet be guaranteed to completely spare our high schools and kindergartens.

I pray that the parents of these children do not catch Covid from their children. And I pray that the teachers and staff do not catch Covid from the children or each other. And I pray that none of the people I mention spread Covid to anyone else.

This is putting an awful lot on God's plate, but since we refuse to do anything to stop it, I guess we have to hope He will choose to grant countless miracles to spare us.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

Daycare facilities have been open at limited capacity for some time here in Ohio.  This week the Governor announced they can go back to full capacity.  Why can schools not open?  The children need to be in school.

Apparently, day care workers lives are not as important as teachers' lives.

And no I am not joking - I am saddened this is the case.

Super Contributor

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

Folks, I was just asking for prayers, because this whole situation is not going to end well for our special needs children. They are in big trouble! I happen to think there are other at risk children as well, but they all really need our best wishes and prayers for a better outcome. Let's not fight about it.

PA Mom-mom...thank you for your kind thoughts and prayers for our special needs kids.  They are very much appreciated!  My son has Cerebral Palsy and has definitely regressed without his therapies.  I think we all have the right to feel the way we do whether we agree or not...this has affected everyone on a different level so I think people are ultra sensitive if not in agreement about schools and special needs programs reopening.  Personally, I'm on the fence about reopening and here in WNY, we have flattened the curve.  Whatever choice we make, let's not criticize each other...we need to proceed with caution and pray that we stay safe while making the best decision for our children.  

Honored Contributor

Some of the reasoning behind opening schools right now is the idea that young children usually don't get too ill if they contract the virus and that they are not spreaders.

I suggest that the Georgia camp debacle be a lesson.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

@PA Mom-mom Thank you for advocating for our special needs students.  I hope that parents reach out to teachers, counselors, and/or administrators when they have questions.  I'll do all I can to support them and keep them in my prayers.  ❤️

Respected Contributor

Authorities who are greenlighting a return to the classroom may revisit their decision in the light of newer info about the presence of virus in young children.

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/934992

"Our analyses suggest children younger than 5 years with mild to moderate COVID-19 have high amounts of SARS-CoV-2 viral RNA in their nasopharynx compared with older children and adults," report Taylor Heald-Sargent, MD, PhD, and colleagues. "Thus, young children can potentially be important drivers of SARS-CoV-2 spread in the general population, as has been demonstrated with respiratory syncytial virus, where children with high viral loads are more likely to transmit."

. . .

"The study included 145 patients with mild or moderate illness who were within 1 week of symptom onset. The researchers used reverse transcriptase–polymerase chain reaction (rt-PCR) on nasopharyngeal swabs collected at inpatient, outpatient, emergency department, or drive-through testing sites to measure SARS-CoV-2 levels. The investigators compared PCR amplification cycle threshold (CT) values for children younger than 5 years (n = 46), children aged 5 to 17 years (n = 51), and adults aged 18 to 65 years (n = 48); lower CT values indicate higher amounts of viral nucleic acid.

"Median CT values for older children and adults were similar (about 11), whereas the median CT value for young children was significantly lower (6.5). The differences between young children and adults "approximate a 10-fold to 100-fold greater amount of SARS-CoV-2 in the upper respiratory tract of young children," the researchers write.

"Behavioral habits of young children and close quarters in school and day care settings raise concern for SARS-CoV-2 amplification in this population as public health restrictions are eased," they write."

This is not good.  I don't think classrooms can be made safe for anyone, children, teachers, or paras. I fully support the teacher's strike.

Esteemed Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

Daycare facilities have been open at limited capacity for some time here in Ohio.  This week the Governor announced they can go back to full capacity.  Why can schools not open?  The children need to be in school.

Apparently, day care workers lives are not as important as teachers' lives.

And no I am not joking - I am saddened this is the case.

The point was that the precautions put in place worked so well that the facilities are able to increase capacity. Good outline for schools.

Teachers lives are not more important than those of the grocery store workers,  delivery people, etc. Yet people want to pick and choose their outrage based upon their personal needs.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.