Honored Contributor

Saw a quote about flowers & blooming year around

It said:  Be patient with yourself, nothing in nature blooms all year long".  Now I know cactus stands year round, and it has flowers.  But..........do those bloom year around?  I'm not in that area, and it's been too long to remember for sure.

My question then is,  is there a flower that nature lets bloom all year around.  I have a brown thumb, so I have no idea.  I know it can probably be googled, but I'd like to hear what the ladies here know about. Or any gents.

Honored Contributor

Re: Saw a quote about flowers & blooming year around

I had an african violet in an office setting a long time ago.I only mention that bc there were NO windows and no natural sunlight.  It bloomed quite a bit and I gave it special african violet food as directed. Every time it died, and sometimes they do. I replace it with another one. It didn't cost much at Home Depot.

CAN:T get the leaves wet - brown spotting and then it falls off. You water from the bottom - by that I mean a saucer is underneath the pot so I filled the saucer and it drinks bottom up.

Honored Contributor

You might get more responses if this was posted in the garden forum.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Esteemed Contributor

My husbands granny had a Christmas cactus, and it wasn't constantly in bloom, but it did bloom a lot through out the year she had a green thumb though. It bloomed more in the winter months, but it did bloom some all year.

Esteemed Contributor

My Amaryllis usually blooms around Christmastime.

Respected Contributor

Cactus do not bloom year round, but such a joy when they do 🌵

Honored Contributor

Crossandra Infundibularis is the closest thing I've found to an always flowering plant. They have pretty big flowers too. Mine has flowers at least eleven months of the year if not all twelve. They come in both orange and yellow varieties. (Some say red also, but it's more of a really dark orange.) I have a big one out on my front porch right now. He's a photo of it I just took to give you an idea of how it looks.

20190703_085120_HDR downsized.jpg

They root easily in moist potting soil. I have two cuttings in pots now ready to give away to people who stop and ask about the plants. I tend to give a couple of rooted cuttings of it away each summer. I first read about it in one of Jim Crockett's old books where someone wrote to him asking for an ever-flowering plant. I've had mine for years now and it's a beauty. They're pretty tolerant of neglect and flower like mad. I highly recommend them.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!