Esteemed Contributor

How sad.  An elderly lady had a sign sitting there.  The sign said, senior struggling, please help.  Never thought in my 86 years, I would see something like this.  If I didn,t have my son's giving me help with food and gas, I shudder to think.  I know there are others younger in the same situation, but for an old person.  I gave her a couple of dollars,all I could spare.  I looked for her today with some food, but couldn,t find her.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Saw a Senior with a sign

@qvcaddition wrote:

How sad.  An elderly lady had a sign sitting there.  The sign said, senior struggling, please help.  Never thought in my 86 years, I would see something like this.  If I didn,t have my son's giving me help with food and gas, I shudder to think.  I know there are others younger in the same situation, but for an old person.  I gave her a couple of dollars,all I could spare.  I looked for her today with some food, but couldn,t find her.  

@qvcaddition : So sad. You tried your best to help.🤗♥️🙏🙏🙏

Respected Contributor

Be careful of getting duped.  There are many, many reliable, legitimate organizations to help people in dire straits.  Some are government funded, some are the result of very good work by community people.  Some are run by churches, some by clubs, some by nationally well-known organizations.  There is help available for the needy.  Just like with the annoying "cold calls" and scammers, individuals (and organized crime groups) will do what they can to make you feel sorry for a certain group of citizens.  Please be careful with your donations.  Most of us are struggling financially these days.  Don't give your money away without knowing the situation is legitimate and even then get the person to go to appropriate, caring, well-run organizations.

Honored Contributor

In years past I have given cash to people who seemed in need. I  figure if it's a scam then so be it. I'd rather err on the side of good. They were situations that I found heartbreaking and just could not ignore. I'm still not sorry.

Honored Contributor

@maximillian wrote:

Be careful of getting duped.  There are many, many reliable, legitimate organizations to help people in dire straits.  Some are government funded, some are the result of very good work by community people.  Some are run by churches, some by clubs, some by nationally well-known organizations.  There is help available for the needy.  Just like with the annoying "cold calls" and scammers, individuals (and organized crime groups) will do what they can to make you feel sorry for a certain group of citizens.  Please be careful with your donations.  Most of us are struggling financially these days.  Don't give your money away without knowing the situation is legitimate and even then get the person to go to appropriate, caring, well-run organizations.

@maximillian : Sad but true and we do need to be careful.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Love my grandkids wrote:

In years past I have given cash to people who seemed in need. I  figure if it's a scam then so be it. I'd rather err on the side of good. They were situations that I found heartbreaking and just could not ignore. I'm still not sorry.

@Love my grandkids : This is what we do but still get a lot of criticism for it. Especially for DH having a difficult childhood and going to bed hungry. My family was very poor but we never went to bed without food.

It is a risk helping someone but we like you rather err on the side of good.

Honored Contributor

The crooks and scam artists steal from those in need.  It makes me very mad. 

Esteemed Contributor

I was going to tell her about the food bank in town and a few other organizations.  Also how to get medical help.  Maybe someone notified an organization for her or maybe it was a dupe, but I couldn,t pass her by.

I will take a trip once a day for another w eek.  It,s only a mile from my home.  I will keep the bag of food in my car and if not her for someone else.  It will not spoil.

Respected Contributor

I have seen older people in Europe begging and figured they probably have more money do I but dress the part for tourists. I did see some teen boys give part of their big pastry to an old woman which she took by a skating rink in Vienna at Christmas markets and told the boys it was a nice gesture. 

The old women in Ukraine on tbe news make me cry who are in their 80s   I know they are hurting. I just sent money today through my church international relief food, clothing, hygiene supplies helping refugees in Budapest through a church there.

We also had an area drive for Afghanistan refugees. Cloth diapers infant clothes and hygiene items. A lot going on here with credible 

organizations and places of worship and always a local food shelf in need. We have a paper and cleaning product collection month. A lot of Seniors are helped there also.

Respected Contributor

Maybe better to call 911 than to approach personally.