Esteemed Contributor

Re: Saw a Senior with a sign

@Love my grandkids wrote:

In years past I have given cash to people who seemed in need. I  figure if it's a scam then so be it. I'd rather err on the side of good. They were situations that I found heartbreaking and just could not ignore. I'm still not sorry.

@Love my grandkids   I agree with you,  ,  better to have been scammed ,   erring on the side of good is the best way to go .    If I feel it in my heart then I carry through regardless.  The elderly always touch my heart....... I think of my parents .

Esteemed Contributor

@qvcaddition wrote:

I was going to tell her about the food bank in town and a few other organizations.  Also how to get medical help.  Maybe someone notified an organization for her or maybe it was a dupe, but I couldn,t pass her by.

I will take a trip once a day for another w eek.  It,s only a mile from my home.  I will keep the bag of food in my car and if not her for someone else.  It will not spoil.

@qvcaddition   Bless you for caring 

Honored Contributor

Everyone here has a right to decide what to do in a situation like this and, imo, no one is more "self-righteous" than the other. Give where you think your money will do the best.  We should all be good stewards of our money. Each one should give as he or she has decided in their hearts.

Honored Contributor

Would any of us choose to sit there with a sign all day, no matter how much money we scammed?  Whether truly in need or just pretending to be, they are providing a service. Those who see them can feel better about their circumstances by comparson, and those who give money to them come away feeling good about it. That feeling has to be worth a couple dollars, and even more than a couple.

Respected Contributor

@jubilant wrote:

Everyone here has a right to decide what to do in a situation like this and, imo, no one is more "self-righteous" than the other. Give where you think your money will do the best.  We should all be good stewards of our money. Each one should give as he or she has decided in their hearts.

Well said @jubilant .   I give to the organizations that help these people. That is where my money does the most good.   Seen way to many scammers to enable them any more.  From the beggar on the street that as soon as we gave him money went straight to the liquor store.  To the "second shift" taking over for the old man at the intersection. Passed his sign over to the younger beggar and then fist pumped him and laughed as he left his "shift".  To the man holding a sign that said he had 3 daughters that needed new clothes standing out front of the entryway to our town grocery store.  Many people offered him a job to help out. The grocery store asst. manager even came out and asked him to apply for a job. They are always looking for help.  People offered to buy the man's daughters clothing.  Nope, he only wanted money, and got ****** off when people offered help instead of giving money.  That is when you knew he was a scammer.  Someone called the police and they had him move on.  He went to the next town over, pulled the same thing and the police were contacted and he moved on.   So I as I said before.  I don't give to beggars, I give it to where it will do the most good, to organizations that help the people that really need it. 

Esteemed Contributor

I don't give cash to people with signs. I prefer giving to organizations. A couple times I gave some money to someone who asked, but the person got angry because they thought I should have given more. 

After that happened, I no longer give money to beggars. If they can't appreciate the amount I had, they're not worth helping. Sounds insensitive, but those scenarios turned me off. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain