Esteemed Contributor

Re: Saw Justin Hayward last night....sigh.

[ Edited ]

@Pearlee 

I know we have discussed JH before, but talking about him never gets old to me Cat LOL

It must have been you that mentioned the TV interview, which I have watched on YouTube.  He was delightful and seemed the perfect gentleman.  There is also a short interview with him and his daughter while she was at school in So. Cal.  Her name, of course, Doremi. 

You were brave to wait for him at the stage door....something I've always dreamed of doing, but never have.  I cannot imagine him ever being anything but gracious.  I've often wondered what it must feel like to be that famous, to be adored by fans...it must be odd for them, too.  It's always great when you finally meet them and they are kind, rather than dismissive.

We also saw him in a small venue, Ramshead Tavern in Annapolis, MD.  I think many of the concerts he does now are small.   And does seem like your living room.  We normally sit back from the stage, but even that seems close. 

Both DH and I always remark that the crowd gets older and older Cat LOL  Yikes! 

There is just a magic surrounding their music, and I know he understands this, by the way he speaks.  I remember reading long ago, that people looked for meaning in their songs, and, for them, the meaning wasn't always that deep.  It was just their music.  They didn't know the secrets of life Cat LOL

The magic for me, I think, is the memories that return when you hear certain songs.  I will never get tired of that feeling!

If you are interested, he does a "Blue Cruise" almost every year.  There is one scheduled in April 2020, with a variety of artists.  We've talked about maybe doing this sort of thing, but, it would be nice to read about the experiences others have had with this sort of thing...I'll have to make it a point to get more info.

Esteemed Contributor

@jellyBEAN 

Those are some wonderful memories!  

Yes, I think their music was mostly quiet and thoughtful, and that was their appeal.

It seemed deep and mystical.  So many beautiful songs.  Forever Autumn was a favorite of mine.  

From Octave, I loved them all, but Driftwood and Had to Fall in Love always make me cry!

Nice memories!

Esteemed Contributor

@IamDoodles 

He did not do the lament or longer version of Nights.  I think you need the full band to have that experience.  He is touring with a keyboardist and young guitarist (names escape me).

Ramshead Tavern in Annapolis is a small venue and offers reserve seating.  It's a wonderful place to see anyone.

I see he is returning to the area on October 24 to the Birchmere in Alexandria, VA.  That's not far from me, but....does not offer reserve seating, which I hate.

My husband and I don't really travel much, but have talked about doing the cruise that has lots of rock bands.  Justin H. is one of the headliners....called The Blue Cruise.

The April 2020 one sounds wonderful!

Respected Contributor

@Witchy Woman 

I am a HUGE Justin Hayward and Moody Blues fan.  Have seen Justin solo several times and the Moodies several times.  I cannot put into words how much I love his lyrics and music.  We recently saw him in August in St Louis.  Mike  Dawes is the name of the guitarist that performs with him in his solos shows.  He is absolutely amazing.  I have both of Mike's CDs. Check him out on YouTube.  He is an absolute wizard with a guitar!  I have never heard anyone play the way he does!

This most recent tour of Justin's was so perfect for me.  The set list included almost all of my very favorite songs.  And he now has a flute player, Karmen Gould, along with Mike and Julie Raggins on keyboard.  

We had a stressful drive to the concert in St Louis and when we finally arrived we walked into the hotel and right there was Mike Dawes!  I got to say hello to him and shake his hand.  What a sweet and gracious young man!  Especially to this old grandma!  Then when we went down to have a late lunch he and Karmen sat at the table next to us.  I wanted to say something but restrained myself so as not to be obnoxious. 

I love Justin's sense of humor.  When they brought out that cardboard cutout, the "ghost" of him, I had a good chuckle!

There are two sites fans of the Moodies and Justin May enjoy.  One is called Traveling Eternity Road and the other is Moody Blues Attitude.  Both are Yuku forums.  Lots of history and current info on the Cruise and tours.  John Lodge is now performing too.  Have not see him yet. 

Justin Hayward dot com too!

So happy to see other Justin fans.  He is my absolute favorite singer/songwriter.  Since I was fifteen.  💕💕

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@4kitties 

You have had some wonderful experiences!

Yes, Mike D. was the guitarist and Julie Raggins on keyboard....but no flute player at Rams Head.  It was still a fab concert...

I also bought both of Mike's CDs...he seems a delightful young man.  I think he said he was from Bristol in the UK.  We chatted a bit while he was signing my CDs.

It's funny you saw him in St. Louis.  I grew up across the river and worked in St. Louis for several years.  Used to see concerts at Kiel Auditorium!  Saw Dave Clark 5, Chuck Berry,

Saw the Beatles in 1963 at Busch stadium.  I loved working in St. Louis!  One of my offices was in the Mansion House Apartments....watched the Arch going up.

The cruise sounds fab, but I doubt we will do the 2020 cruise.  You really have to plan ahead, and...we are not able to do so at this time.

Thanks for the tips on the websites.  It's amazing how much these people touch our lives. We really don't KNOW them, but they become woven into the fabric of our memories.

I noted that Justin has an October 14 birthday....mine is October 31.

Happy you enjoyed your concert!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Oh my gosh..........yes.  Got to see the Moody Blues in concert a few years ago.  I have always liked them and to see them in person was wonderful!  Now that is music!!