Respected Contributor
Series EE bonds don’t accrue interest after they mature.
Honored Contributor

@On It wrote:

@Seannie Thank you for posting. I thought my husband had one from his childhood. He does, so he will take it in to see if our bank which is local will cash it. It was a small one that someone gave him as a child. It will be fun to see how much interest accumulated over his lifetime.

@On It 

It will be fun!

I had a small stack handed to me one winter night in 1999.  They went all the way back to the time I was Baptized.  Some were for only $25.  They totalled in face value $325. 

When I went to the bank to cash them in, they were worth $10,640.  I told the teller not to cash them, I wanted to know how much longer for a larger figure and she said they were done (for like 17 years!) accruing interest.

But, I actually started a little *cottage industry* with that 'lil windfall.  It paid off.

Respected Contributor
I had decades of EE bonds, offered through my employer until the early '90s when they stopped doing that. When each one matured, monthly, I redeemed and deposited it at our bank with no problem. I redeemed my last one in April.

What worries you masters you.
Honored Contributor

I'm afraid with the present political situations nothing is doing any good.

Yes, bonds quit paying after 30 yrs. Mine aren't that old like 17-20 something like that.  Back in the day when they had higher rate of interest they were good.

Now, I just need to hear I did everything in order and

get my investment back.

Respected Contributor

If you have an account at these banks, you can cash your Series EE Bonds (paper) at the following banks according to Kiplinger:

Citibank

Bank of America

BB&T

FYI:  The interest earned on the bonds are taxable in the year they are cashed.  If they are used for education, non taxable.

Honored Contributor

13 to 20 weeks!!!!!!   Omg....

Esteemed Contributor
My sister gave my sons savings bonds years ago. I think their time is up. I need to dig those things out, if I can find them.
Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

guess it takes so long because everybody is figuring out banks in most towns won't handle them. I'm not starting an account just to cash a I bond. Why I'm getting rid of all of mine in one fell swoop.

Respected Contributor

@Seannie Don't know what you're talking about.  I had a load of savings bonds.  Cashed them in at my local bank with no problems.

Did you talk to the branch manager?  If you didn't, you should have.

Honored Contributor

may depend on the bond, too

EE

I

H etc.