Respected Contributor

Save yourself a lot of PAIN & MISERY....

For for the second time in two months I've had serious knee pain. The first episode lasted at least 5 weeks.  I'm now into 2 weeks and finally figured out the source of the injury.

Yesterday the orthopedic surgeon diagnosed my knee injury as a sprained MCL ( not ACL ) or media collateral ligament.  Rehab and ibuprofen are in order.

As soon as I pushed the king sized 18" mattress back into place with my previously injured knee, I discovered the original cause of the pain.

Save your self a lot of pain and misery:  Don't use your knees to move heavy objects !!!

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Save yourself a lot of PAIN & MISERY....

[ Edited ]

I have discovered a product called ,STOP PAIN.  I think they sell it here on QVC but

I buy it on  auto delivery on Amazon.com

It works so well and you do not need to take meds.

I had an extremly painfull  seperated shoulder and took no meds  for months using this..  Actually I did not think it was gonna work.........lol  Now i use it everywhere.

Try it!

Respected Contributor

Thank You @jikz I too do that all the time, well now I know so no more
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

While advice like this is never bad, I am pretty sure that there was/is an underlying problem with your knee joint prior to this event.

Same with back(spinal)issues. Bend over to pick up a dropped article, and "pop". To blame the dropped pencil, or whatever, is not the total cause of the problem. It may be what initiated the pain, but with most joints and other physiological parts of the human anatomy?

Unless and injury is the result of "trauma", there is a pretty good chance that the event that finished "bending the pipe 1 too many times",  was not the cause of the problem.

Hope all goes well for you, but I would certainly find out the underlying problems for this injury and see what you can do at home as far as rehab, after you finish your Prescribed Rehab and your "therapeutic dosage" of ibuprofen ends.

Any joint problem needs consistent exercises on a regular basis to help stabilize any joint issue. That is more important than the "breaking point", which was not the cause of too many ligament injuries that are not because of a trauma of some type.

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

I am a nurse and have a great deal of faith in traditional medicine and don't put much stock in holistic remedies.  I just went through a great ordeal with a friend with chronic back pain.  He was about to be entered into a study actually funded by Medicare for a new treatment but was rejected at the last moment.  He was at wits end because he did not want major reconstructive surgery which seemed to be the last option.  His sister is very enthusiastic about the use of magnets for pain....I raised my eyebrows and had a few snarky remarks but she sent him a catalogue.  In desperation, he ordered a back brace for $20 with magnets.  He put the thing on before going to observe a Rutgers practice session as he would be on his feet a long time.   He sent me a note stating this was the best his back felt in years!  Well, who knew?  He told his doctor and he said some people do have success with magnets; keep using them....so if you have chronic pain, try them

Respected Contributor

@jlkz wrote:

For for the second time in two months I've had serious knee pain. The first episode lasted at least 5 weeks.  I'm now into 2 weeks and finally figured out the source of the injury.

Yesterday the orthopedic surgeon diagnosed my knee injury as a sprained MCL ( not ACL ) or media collateral ligament.  Rehab and ibuprofen are in order.

As soon as I pushed the king sized 18" mattress back into place with my previously injured knee, I discovered the original cause of the pain.

Save your self a lot of pain and misery:  Don't use your knees to move heavy objects !!!

I will definitely keep that in mind.  Thanks

Esteemed Contributor

@Greenhouse wrote:

I am a nurse and have a great deal of faith in traditional medicine and don't put much stock in holistic remedies.  I just went through a great ordeal with a friend with chronic back pain.  He was about to be entered into a study actually funded by Medicare for a new treatment but was rejected at the last moment.  He was at wits end because he did not want major reconstructive surgery which seemed to be the last option.  His sister is very enthusiastic about the use of magnets for pain....I raised my eyebrows and had a few snarky remarks but she sent him a catalogue.  In desperation, he ordered a back brace for $20 with magnets.  He put the thing on before going to observe a Rutgers practice session as he would be on his feet a long time.   He sent me a note stating this was the best his back felt in years!  Well, who knew?  He told his doctor and he said some people do have success with magnets; keep using them....so if you have chronic pain, try them

I want to say I totally agree with you. Now I can remember when medical doctors used to scoff at Chiropractic. Now my friend, who is an Ortho Spine Surgeon, has a Chirpractor in his practice.

The spine is a strange thing and what works for some and not others? Who knows the why's or what fors, if it works it works.

I've had 3 ruptured L-discs removed from my spine and have 3 crushed Cervical vertabrae, and I have been sleeping in a lounge chair now for over 25 years. My friend has many MRI pictures of my spine, and also removed my ruptured L-3 disc.

He told and still tells me what my other friend, who has since died, that was a Chiropractor said. I don't know how to correct your problem, but if sleeping in a lounge chair works for you? Both of them said the same thing, "keep sleeping in a lounge chair".

If magnets appear to work for this gentleman and he is happy? Who's to say? If it works stick with it regardless of what anyone has to say about it, Medical Doctors or otherwise.

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@hckynutjohn wrote:

@Greenhouse wrote:

I want to say I totally agree with you. Now I can remember when medical doctors used to scoff at Chiropractic. Now my friend, who is an Ortho Spine Surgeon, has a Chirpractor in his practice.

The spine is a strange thing and what works for some and not others? Who knows the why's or what fors, if it works it works.

I've had 3 ruptured L-discs removed from my spine and have 3 crushed Cervical vertabrae, and I have been sleeping in a lounge chair now for over 25 years. My friend has many MRI pictures of my spine, and also removed my ruptured L-3 disc.

He told and still tells me what my other friend, who has since died, that was a Chiropractor said. I don't know how to correct your problem, but if sleeping in a lounge chair works for you? Both of them said the same thing, "keep sleeping in a lounge chair".

If magnets appear to work for this gentleman and he is happy? Who's to say? If it works stick with it regardless of what anyone has to say about it, Medical Doctors or otherwise.

You are quite right. I was skeptical but it is now three days without pain and he was miserable before.  His doctor said he didn't know how magnets work but he should continue to use them.  He spent a fortune on chelation of nerve endings, physical therapy, MRIs, consults, patches, nerve blocks....I am glad he finally got relief without strong medication

Honored Contributor

Three years ago I dragged a very heavy musical instrument up a flight of stairs and simultaneously gave birth to a case of iliotibial band syndrome and At the same time, a case of piriformus syndrome.

From this I learned that while it can be fun to tote a 10 pound baby on the hip, totomg a 40 pound insteument is no fun at all.

Bet we won't be trying that again, right OP?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's always worth a try, and if it works, it works!  I might give it a try.  It's been said that magnets work for many people.  Now I'm thinking that if we have electrical energy in our bodies, the magnets may draw some of that painful electrical energy outward.  Makes sense to me, anyway......Updated:  Actually, who knows: just maybe the presence of pain within our bodies produces even more electrodes/electricity/whatever electrical energy.  Maybe this over-abundance of painful electrical energy  might be relieved by magnets pulling it away and outside of our bodies.  Well, it's an unscientific thought.  Still, what if nobody yet has measured the amount of increased (if any) electrical energy during painful episodes...........

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).