Respected Contributor

We are planning to visit Charleston and Savannah and wondered how many days would be sufficient to spend in each city.  

Valued Contributor

I'm not sure what your interests are. Downtown Savannah is charming. If I visited again I would stay there. IMO the 8th Air Force Museum is worth a day. Tybee Beach is a short drive.

It's been longer since I was in the Charleston area. Edisto is lovely if you like quiet beach towns. I'm sure staying downtown is expensive both places, but IMO worth it to be in the center of the atmosphere.

Not much info but HTH.

Super Contributor

I guess it depends on what you want to see. Are you planning to go to the beach? If so, that could be an entire day. If not, you want to see the gardens, downtown historical homes/sites. Charleston has a nice aquarium. Also, you have to consider your drive time and meal time in both cities. I think you'd want to plan on at least 3-4 full days in each city. Charleston is my home. Enjoy your trip!

While I breathe, I hope - - South Carolina
Honored Contributor

3 days in each, we did 2 each and would have liked one more.

Occasional Contributor

I stopped in Savannah to go to a bakery on my Florida to Virginia trip a couple weeks ago. I had a heck of a time finding any parking. Beautiful trees!  I don't know what shopping visitors do?? I couldn't figure it out. I found one spot. There were *no* others.

Elizabeth

Respected Contributor

@bargainsgirl

Just finished reading a great book with Savannah and its culture at its core.  Author says at the end that the facts are true but the names changed to protect the characters.  Forget the author ( ? Berndt or Berendt ? ) Book title: Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

When we visited Charleston, it was hotter than h*ll. I had to purchase a wide brim hat and a canteen style water bottle for sightseeing. Be sure to pack those...and cool clothes even in March. The humidity is killer!

Honored Contributor

@Dancing Cranes wrote:

I stopped in Savannah to go to a bakery on my Florida to Virginia trip a couple weeks ago. I had a heck of a time finding any parking. Beautiful trees!  I don't know what shopping visitors do?? I couldn't figure it out. I found one spot. There were *no* others.

Elizabeth

@Dancing Cranes

I live in Savannah and there are 2 parking lots on River St. (downtown), as well as 5-6 parking garages in the downtown area of Savannah.

The visitor's center has maps which show where they are located.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

@Jlkg - The book was written by John Berendt and published in 1994. Was made into a movie in 1997 starring Kavin Spacey and John Cusack.

Respected Contributor

I've never cared for Savannah, but really like Charleston.  I'd rather spend the entire time there lol.