Honored Contributor

Re: Satellite TV dishes left behind on homes

When we had Dish, they said they didn't want it back.  Hubby took it off the roof and we recycled it. 

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

If the cable company wants her business, make that part of their agreement before signing on with the cable company. A friend of mine was a install tech for Cox Cable for 13 years and he said he was always removing sattelite dishes left are customers went from satellite to cable. Many of which were on the roofs of homes.

He now works for Centurylink and they have a package deal that includes DirecTV with install. Said he has removed many Dish Network dishes and installed those used by DirecTV.

If all else fails, removing a dish without going up on a roof is not a major job. A wrench(maybe even a pliers) and a screwdriver are probably all the tools needed then put it out with the trash. Can either hide the satellite cables/cut them with a pair of wire/cable cutters(similar to pliers, but have cutting edges on them) or have the cable installers remove them.

My friend said many times, when with Cox Cable, they were able to use the coaxial cables left from the sattelite, depending on how and where they ran into the homes.

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

To answer your question, yes, your daughter can unfasten the dish and get rid of it any way she wishes.  She doesn't need anyone's permission.  The satellite companies tell people to leave it, hoping the new residents will sign up for the same service.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I hate that the dish companies don't take their equipment.  Once the closing is done, you can do whatever you want with the dish.  There is a part the previous owners had to return to stop billing, but that's their business to have done that.