Esteemed Contributor

Satellite TV dishes left behind on homes

My daughter is purchasing a resale home.  She wants to use cable TV not Direct or DISH TV.  The house is empty and closing is today.  the left behind satellite dish is attached to a deck railing and is large and intrusive.  She wants it gone.  We have noticed on other empty homes that we looked at that the satellite companies make no effort to come and remove their exterior equipment.  can her DH simply unscrew the brackets that hold this ugly thing on the deck railing and take it to the dump?  It seems to me that the satellite companies want the receivers back but make no effort to get their left over exterior equipment

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Satellite TV dishes left behind on homes

She could have stipulated in the closing agreement that the sellers remove it, but it's too late for that.

When I moved two years ago, I called DirecTV and asked them about the one on my roof and they said they don't pick them up because they don't want to repair the hole they would leave. As it turns out, I talked to the buyers and they wanted DirecTV, too, so it wasn't a problem.

it sounds like your daughter's could be safely removed and taken wherever electronic items are recycled.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Honored Contributor

Dish tells you to leave it up there when you move. I think they would have to remove it.

Respected Contributor

Can she tell her agent that she wants it removed? The sellers or the sellers agent should take it and dispose of it. It isn't your daughter's responsibility. 

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Respected Contributor

@Smaug wrote:

Can she tell her agent that she wants it removed? The sellers or the sellers agent should take it and dispose of it. It isn't your daughter's responsibility. 

Depends on whether she closed on the house yet or not.

I agree with the poster above who says it is really too late the day of closing to bring this up.   Now it is her responsibility.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

For some reason, I thought they were supposed to leave those behind. But I'd call the company to see about their removing it for you.

Respected Contributor

There should be a final walkthrough. I've had buyers say they wanted "x" done during the walkthrough. It wasn't on the RPA but nothing major was asked so we did it so we could finalize everything. Good luck to your daughter OP. 

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Esteemed Contributor

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

@Smaug wrote:

Depends on whether she closed on the house yet or not.

I agree with the poster above who says it is really too late the day of closing to bring this up.   Now it is her responsibility.

Well she could try, things do get negotiated last minute. You'd be surprised what sellers will agree to if they think the sale might fall through.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Esteemed Contributor

Final walk through is at noon today.  The sellers have moved out of state and will close with a power of attorney in place so they certainly cannot remove the equipment.  It does not appear to be difficult to remove from the deck rail.  held on with brackets and screws.  I just want to see if there is any responsibility to return the equipment to the satellite provider or can she simply dispose of it?

Esteemed Contributor

She should phone the provider and get their permission to remove and dump, then she wouldn't have to worry about it.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop