Honored Contributor

Re: Sarah Jessica Parker Re: Epi Pen hike

To me, the rise in the cost of drugs like this, that aren't new or terribly expensive to make once in full production, is  just another sign that the medical/pharma industry (and it is just that, an industry) in general isn't really interested in curing disease or keeping people well. It's all about the money.

Respected Contributor

@Disneylandfan wrote:

@pitdakota wrote:

@Disneylandfan wrote:

A problem I see with using a syringe versus the epi pen is hesitation.  I'm a teacher and while the epi pen still causes apprehension you're not seeing the needle so it's easier to administer.

I say this because I used to have to give my horse shots weekly.  The first few times was really difficult-and we're talking about a large animal that hardly felt the injection.  It took several times before I didn't feel apprehensive and hesitated.  Most likely most teachers are not going to have that type of practice.

Now make that a child and you're the teacher in a life saving moment.  Trying to inject a syringe is mentally very difficult.  I think the epi pen's allure is that you don't see the injection so the scariness is reduced.

I think there might be some confusion about what a syringe actually is in the discussion between the difference between these 2 products.

A syringe is actually only the vessel that holds a liquid medication of some sort that is going to be injected somewhere.  A syringe does not  necessarily have to have a needle.  We use syringes in the pediatric setting to draw up liquids and administer medications to young children by mouth, all without a needle.

The EipPen has a syringe as well. All self-injectors have syringes that contain a particular dosage of a medication.

I think what started the discussion earlier in the thread is the situation of having a syringe, needle, and ampule requiring someone to drawi up the medication yourself before administering.  That is very tricky and is not desirable in an emergency setting for self injection.

No confusion.  To deliver epinephrine there will need to be a needle attached to that syringe. Maybe you should reread my post to get the point I was making. I know what an epipen is I have one.

@Disneylandfan, I am so sorry I didn't mean to imply that you were confused.  I was in a hurry getting ready to leave and had read upstream in the thread something that made me think there was some confusion about  a syringe system.

In fact, I am not sure why I quoted your post.  LOL  So sorry I certainly did not mean to imply that you were confused at all. 

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Honored Contributor

I could be wrong, but it doesn't appear that the FDA has anything to do with approvals for pricing .... and that needs to change, IMO.

I represent an insurance company that, when they wish to bring out a new type of policy, it must be submitted to the CA Dept of Insurance for review of the terms ... AND pricing.

I've had individual health insurance policies in the past that increased in price ... after getting the approval of the CA Dept of Insurance.   They need to sign off on the company's justification for the rate increase.  This is a reasonable way to do things.

Perhaps the FDA didn't see much need to regulate pricing based on the law of supply and demand AND healthy competition in the marketplace.   It's probably been a pretty reasonable assumption ... in the past.

IMO ... not any more.    In many instances, a company can raise prices all they want, but then also risk pricing themselves out of the market, which is a good thing.

This EpiPen fiasco has brought a lot of things to light, and it'll be interesting to see what happens next.

Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@pitdakota wrote:

I looked to find a patient education video for the Adrenaclick so maybe the video will help.

Self injectors all work along the same prinicples.  They just may have a few differences, but they are basically the same operation for patients.

Here is the website with the instructional video:

http://www.adrenaclick.com/how_to_use_adrenaclick_epinephrine_injection_USP_auto_injector.php

@pitdakota

Obviously, the best resource is from the company .... but you can even find  good demos on Youtube ..... instructions for using the self-inject pens are everywhere!

@Tinkrbl44, if you read all the threads you'd see that I searched youtube for videos on how to use the AdrenaClick.  I found nothing.

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@pitdakota wrote:

I looked to find a patient education video for the Adrenaclick so maybe the video will help.

Self injectors all work along the same prinicples.  They just may have a few differences, but they are basically the same operation for patients.

http://www.adrenaclick.com/how_to_use_adrenaclick_epinephrine_injection_USP_auto_injector.php

@pitdakota

Obviously, the best resource is from the company .... but you can even find  good demos on Youtube ..... instructions for using the self-inject pens are everywhere!

@Tinkrbl44, if you read all the threads you'd see that I searched youtube for videos on how to use the AdrenaClick.  I found nothing.

@itiswhatitis  

Okay.   Here's what I found.   The second link shows how to use the 3 most commonly used adrenaline pens, so take your pick.   The point is to learn how to use the pen of choice before you need it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xvrBJph89k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOp1Rb5m04o

Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@pitdakota wrote:

@pitdakota

@itiswhatitis  

Okay.   Here's what I found.   The second link shows how to use the 3 most commonly used adrenaline pens, so take your pick.   The point is to learn how to use the pen of choice before you need it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xvrBJph89k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOp1Rb5m04o

I saw these but I wouldn't post them because it says Generic For EpiPen.  I was  not aware that AdrenaClick was a generic, but simply another pen like Avi Q.

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

The Insurance companies should lobby to make this and other drugs OTC just like they did with allergy and yeast infection meds.

When I worked for Wellpoint (now Anthem) they did that. They were so proud of it.  It saves consumers millions.

Honored Contributor

@Bellabutterfly wrote:

What Mylan has done is an outrage!  This is when I believe our State Senators and our Goverment need to get involved.  

I sent an email to Senator Joe Manchin, D - West Virginia.  His daughter is Mylan's CEO.

Esteemed Contributor

Not sure if there IS a competitor NOW but shortly as long as they are approved TEVA is coming out with a generic..

You will have to Google is since the link does not seem to paste here.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Ms X- Auvi Q- was recalled by Sanofi in 2015; that's the issue, no competitors