Esteemed Contributor

Re: Sarah Jessica Parker Re: Epi Pen hike

@Tyak wrote:

The daughter of a US senator from West Va. is the CEO of Mylan.   Shame on her.  The senator is Joe Manchin.

@Tyak- surprised she is Manchin's daughter; he is a pretty decent guy

Esteemed Contributor

@ms traditional wrote:

i'd say she didn't do her homework before putting her imprimatur on the company. these price increases have been occurring for several years now.   also why did the FDA turn down Teva's competitive product? with such a market, i find it most peculiar that there isn't a real competitor.  most peculiar.

@ms traditional- the FDA stated "quality control issues" "inaccurate doses".  I understand searching for a cheaper alternative in Canada or other countries but the same quality control is not there.  As I mentioned elsewhere on the forum, Chiron's contamination of the influenza vaccine comes to mind which caused a shortage worldwide of flu vaccine.  I believe Chiron is in England.  I think the medications in the US are the safest in the world but the other part of the FDA job is to be sure that they are accessible by all who need them.  They should track what they approve and reject and be sure by their actions, a monopoly is not created.  But, I never want to see standards relaxed.  Sad part, epinephrine costs about 20c a vial but the device is the expensive part. 

Respected Contributor

@Stray wrote:

@ms traditional wrote:

i'd say she didn't do her homework before putting her imprimatur on the company. these price increases have been occurring for several years now.   also why did the FDA turn down Teva's competitive product? with such a market, i find it most peculiar that there isn't a real competitor.  most peculiar.

@ms traditional- the FDA stated "quality control issues" "inaccurate doses".  I understand searching for a cheaper alternative in Canada or other countries but the same quality control is not there.  As I mentioned elsewhere on the forum, Chiron's contamination of the influenza vaccine comes to mind which caused a shortage worldwide of flu vaccine.  I believe Chiron is in England.  I think the medications in the US are the safest in the world but the other part of the FDA job is to be sure that they are accessible by all who need them.  They should track what they approve and reject and be sure by their actions, a monopoly is not created.  But, I never want to see standards relaxed.  Sad part, epinephrine costs about 20c a vial but the device is the expensive part. 

@Stray  thanks for clarification.  i just started a new thread with the announcement from Mylan that they will launch a generic pack at $300  soon.   but let's face it:  this market needs competition to keep prices in line.

Esteemed Contributor

@ms traditional wrote:

@Stray wrote:

@ms traditional wrote:

@Stray  thanks for clarification.  i just started a new thread with the announcement from Mylan that they will launch a generic pack at $300  soon.   but let's face it:  this market needs competition to keep prices in line.

@ms traditional- yes, it does.  That's really what keeps prices down.  But, that's the way free enterprise works ....if there is enough outcry, no alternative to a life saving drug....in this Country, the market will right itself.  I think another good step that has occurred is that now, some states, allow individuals to return unused, unopened drugs to a certified pharmacy to be used in underserved areas.  That was never allowed before and only some states participate but it is a way to get much needed medication to people who need vital medicine. 

Esteemed Contributor

@PamfromCT

I am following _ this_ right along with you.

Hope to hear from you very soon.

( I was wondering if you had been THERE)?

News? Back?

No hurry, ever. I know that you are very busy with ...FROM the last few posts.

Heart

NAES