Honored Contributor

@Biftu wrote:

Thanks so much @Kachina624.  I have been to NM many times and although I always wanted to attend the Indian Market it never happened.  I am a kachina and storyteller collector, not to mention the jewelry.  If you are familiar with Pozzi Franzetti, I have many of her pieces as well.  Looking forward to seeing this year's poster.

@Biftu    Not many people mention the kachinas but they are one of my favorite things.  I love the jewelry but if I could collect one museum quality item it would be kachinas.  The very fine ones are just exquisite; you have to see the detail close up and in person to appreciate them.  Unfortunately, they sell for thousands of dollars, not in my budget.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

What's a kachina?  I like the Zuni dolls they look supernatural like the Zulu warrior in that movie of Karen Black's. 'Trilogy of Terror' movie.

Honored Contributor

My mother goes to this every year. She will be very interested in this. Thank you @Kachina624.

She was very concerned when she couldn't get ahold of a few of her artisan friends lately. Eventually she did, and is sending a little something extra in her usual care packages.

I am glad the market is doing their best to make this virtual!

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Biftu wrote:

Thanks so much @Kachina624.  I have been to NM many times and although I always wanted to attend the Indian Market it never happened.  I am a kachina and storyteller collector, not to mention the jewelry.  If you are familiar with Pozzi Franzetti, I have many of her pieces as well.  Looking forward to seeing this year's poster.

@Biftu    Not many people mention the kachinas but they are one of my favorite things.  I love the jewelry but if I could collect one museum quality item it would be kachinas.  The very fine ones are just exquisite; you have to see the detail close up and in person to appreciate them.  Unfortunately, they sell for thousands of dollars, not in my budget.

@Kachina624  I love my kachinas.  I only collect the Hopi old style ones, although I do have a few others.  I have about 16 of them.  I am very lucky to have the collection I have which I bought and haggled for many years ago.  My last trip was two years ago and prices were beyond my price range. 

Honored Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

What's a kachina?  I like the Zuni dolls they look supernatural like the Zulu warrior in that movie of Karen Black's. 'Trilogy of Terror' movie.

@SharkE   Kachinas are made by the Hopi Indians to teach children about characters in their spiritual world.  They are traditionally hand carved from the root of the cottonwood tree. 

The  kachinas made for the Indians are solid wood, whereas those made for the tourist trade may be decorated with feathers or fur.  A feather carved into a kachina is a tiny work of art with each tiny part being distinct.

There is a series of clown figures some of which are pictured below.  There are many more.

Screenshot_20200509-174319~2.pngScreenshot_20200509-174025~2.png

Honored Contributor

Interesting !

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624  Thanks for posting this.  I am definitely interested in doing some major shopping.  

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

My mother loved turqoise jewelry. Once when we were driving across the country in the 1960s, my dad bought my Mom a beautiful large squash blossom necklace from an Indian reservation. I am her only daughter and she left me all her jewelry when she died. I have only worn it a few times. I think I will get it out tomorrow in honor of Mother's Day. I would be interested in the Santa Fe market.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@chessylady    Get that necklace out, polish it up and wear it!  They're beautiful with a V-neck black, brown, rust, yellow dress or top.  Wear to a dressy affair and you'll be the life of the party.