Esteemed Contributor

Re: TMI at the checkout today!

@lovesrecess wrote:
Wow I certainly am amazed at the snarky responses to my post! Am not sure why it was taken as offensive....but I think everyone over age 12 probably knows to wash produce thoroughly before eating it....

Seeing that you felt it necessary to once again delete an OP I can only respond from memory.  Perhaps the snark was due to an undertone of disgust that a store would dare have a front-end employee clean the bathrooms then serve customers.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

Funny how many get their knickers in a twist about a worker doing

multiple tasks within their job, implying they somehow, someway

they’re carrying human excrement to a customer purchase...

but yet....

eat, without a blink of an eye....

meat, cheese, milk, eggs which have all sorts of

animal feces, blood, bone & pus contained within the food product..

but that’s another conversation for another thread.

@sidsmom

I saw a thread about tainted meat on the Wellness board not long ago and not many responses resulted, but when the same was posted about romaine lettuce this past summer there were dozens of posts and more than one thread.

I wondered why hardly anyone cared about the infected meat but so many were apoplectic about the lettuce.

Maybe people eat more romaine than meat. 

I do. I am not vegan and never plan to be, but I don't eat meat at every meal. More salads. I get my protein from eggs, cheese and seafood. Some poultry.

Please no lectures. I have no interest  in plant based eating.

@Ms tyrion2  Agree 100%.  It gets tiring to see the same lectures about the vegan lifestyle being touted as the ONLY thing people should be eating.

What @sidsmom doesn't get is that plant based foods can be contaminated with e-coli, lysteria, etc.-we see recalls all the time. 

The enivonment?  Yes, water consumption is higher raising animals but it is also taking over the silly almond movement while good produce is being reduced so that they can pour alomond milk over their gmo, chemically grown cereal.

Chemicals used to grow plant based food are in run-offs; our water supplies are just as much at risk as the run-off from animal based food.

People need to be left alone to decide for themselves what to eat and what not to eat.  I agree that plant based is a good way to live; but I cringe at some of these "studies" that claim people are "cured" in just 2 weeks of all kinds of illnesses.

Look to your pesticides, herbicides, and other miserable things seeping into our land and water tables.  Cow f*rts aside, the picture isn't as pretty as some would have others believe.

But produce would not be affected unless there was animal 

contamination upstream or in the vicinity. 

The danger comes from the animal manufacturing. 

Just the fact one has to wear a HAZMAT suit to even look at

raw chicken is telling....very telling....and that’s on a good day.

....but another topic for ‘nuther thread.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Sanitation at grocery store

The cashier shouldn't have said that to you -- it was very unprofessional. I would have been disgusted by that response, too. She could have just said that the baggers are busy working on something else.

Honored Contributor

Hubby always bags our groceries.  The cashiers without baggers really appreciate the gesture.

However, I will hand him a wet wipe each time from now on to make sure he doesn't contaminate our produce.  And to think I sleep with the man.  Horrors.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

@Daisy Sunflower wrote:

The cashier shouldn't have said that to you -- it was very unprofessional. I would have been disgusted by that response, too. She could have just said that the baggers are busy working on something else.

You know @Daisy Sunflower,  your response just reminded me of something that happened to me many years ago (back in the 80's).  Talk about a worker saying something that they shouldn't have, oy!  Two co-workers (both female) and I were at a nearby diner on our lunch break.  Our waitress was saying that she didn't feel good  and that she had to keep using the bathroom because it was her "time of the month" and that she was bleeding heavily.  

Now granted I know this happens (happened) to all of us, but I have to say that it kind of turned my stomach.  I don't think that's something the waitress should have shared.  Ugh.  

Respected Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:
Because they are part of an intellectually disabled group that is hired by Kroger to bag groceries. They have been trained to work independently there so there is no one in the bathrooms reminding them to wash their hands. Guess I am the only one this situation was not good.

@lovesrecess

I understand your frustration but it is not fair to make it sound like intellectually disabled people do not wash their hands. I have worked with challenged people and let me say that once they learn a skill set they do it for life.

As to your original post that is gone now, have you thought of the cashiers hands from touching the money? I think  we have to assume food is contaminated and wash it accordingly. I am not speaking ill of cashiers. I can tell you that money tends to be grubby.

Don't take a field trip and see what they spray on produce for natural organic fertilizer.

doxie

Honored Contributor

There's that nasty conveyor belt that has drippy meat and chickens and potatoes and dirt on it.  There are coyotes and foxes and dogs that pee and poop in fields and birds that fly over and poop on it.  Lot of stuff grows in dirt and is fertilized with who knows what and pooped on by who knows what.

Honored Contributor

Sooner:  That's exactly what I've been saying.

Critters here and there and everywhere.

Wash, wash, wash produce.  Well, wash just about everything.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

Oh my gosh. The only thing that is disgusting on this thread is the OP implying that because someone is disabled they don’t know how to wash their hands!
Honored Contributor

Toilet cleaning boys don't handle produce (unless it's a little mom and pop shop).  

I work parttime in customer service at a midwest chain of grocery stores.  You'd be amazed at the sanitation requirements... to keep hands clean, wear gloves, aprons, etc etc.  Most products are cleaner than the counter in your own kitchen.  Still, wash before using is my routine.