Respected Contributor

Re: San Francisco to pay salaries of more than $70k

Interesting. Ok to make generalizations about one city but let someone generalize about yours and you're offended. Funny how that works.

Honored Contributor

@bathina wrote:

Interesting. Ok to make generalizations about one city but let someone generalize about yours and you're offended. Funny how that works.

I know, right.

*rolleyes*    What seems obvious is that those posts are usually very politically motivated.   The usual 'people from CA are all evil' carp.

Respected Contributor

@magicmoodz wrote:

@RetRN wrote:

Visiting cities like San Francisco, Seattle, and Minneapolis used be the source of great pleasure, sadly that is not the case anymore. I am going to spend next week in Chicago and it will not be any better than the rest. It is truly a shame and I don't believe anyone here is bashing. 

@RetRN

What part of Minneapolis do you find distasteful?  I am very proud of the renovation and revitalization of my city. We have spent a considerable amount of time over the last 6 months right in the heart of downtown at theater, music events and great restaurants. Granted there was a time (urban blight) when many cities throughout the country suffered. Now there is a tremendous resurgence of urban living. The city is filled with new condos, townhomes, flats and apartments. We can be driving home late on a Saturday night and the sketchiest thing we see on Hennepin Avenue is a hipster couple out walking their French bulldog.🙂

That is not to say there aren't pockets of bad areas in any large city. But we aren't dodging turds on the sidewalk in Minneapolis. 

@magicmoodz,

She probably feels the Minneapolis and the other cities she mentioned are too "liberal" for her. She intensely dislikes anything and everywhere that might lean center or left of center. Progressive is also anathema to her.

I wouldn't take her comments to heart.

Esteemed Contributor

@bathina wrote:

@magicmoodz wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@ScarletDove wrote:

Disgusting that this kind of unsanitary behavior is allowed/condoned in such a beautiful, high-dollar city.....

@ScarletDove

Yes, it's disgusting, but I don't think they have allowed OR condoned the behavior ..... people just do it.   No one asks permission.   

This poop patrol job isn't on anyone's career path, so they have t make it worth someone's while to do it.

@Tinkrbl44

At no additional cost to the city, why not make it "worth someone's while" by making it part of their Sentence to Serve? Win-win.

You do understand the cost to do what you suggest is much more than the hiring of poop patrol, right?

@bathina

Are you talking to me?  If so, please explain? I am sure San Fran has an STS program in place. Just direct it to poop patrol. See, wasn't that cost-effective?

Honored Contributor

Don't feel bad. When Aretha died, the very next day, a poster I had never seen before, pulled up an old thread, about how nice downtown Detroit looked, just to say something nasty. Of course these people all claim to live nearby

They didn't tell all of the wonderful things that are happening, just a load  of carp....

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@bathina wrote:

@bathina

Again, is this comment directed to me? If so, I love my city so yes, I was taken aback by a negative comment. But please take note, I never denigrated San Francisco or any other city for that matter. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

@magicmoodz wrote:

@RetRN wrote:

Visiting cities like San Francisco, Seattle, and Minneapolis used be the source of great pleasure, sadly that is not the case anymore. I am going to spend next week in Chicago and it will not be any better than the rest. It is truly a shame and I don't believe anyone here is bashing. 

@RetRN

What part of Minneapolis do you find distasteful?  I am very proud of the renovation and revitalization of my city. We have spent a considerable amount of time over the last 6 months right in the heart of downtown at theater, music events and great restaurants. Granted there was a time (urban blight) when many cities throughout the country suffered. Now there is a tremendous resurgence of urban living. The city is filled with new condos, townhomes, flats and apartments. We can be driving home late on a Saturday night and the sketchiest thing we see on Hennepin Avenue is a hipster couple out walking their French bulldog.🙂

That is not to say there aren't pockets of bad areas in any large city. But we aren't dodging turds on the sidewalk in Minneapolis. 

@magicmoodz,

She probably feels the Minneapolis and the other cities she mentioned are too "liberal" for her. She intensely dislikes anything and everywhere that might lean center or left of center. Progressive is also anathema to her.

I wouldn't take her comments to heart.

@Ms tyrion2

Oh, thank you for the heads up. Now I understand. Tribalism at its finest!

Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

It's a chicken or the egg question.

Is addiction the reason why people end up homeless or do the homeless fall into addictions not previously in their lives?

The studies are out there regarding percentages dealing with addiction and mental illness among the homeless but ultimately the homeless issue is secondary.  Something caused a person to end up homeless; those issues need more in-depth solutions to help ease this problem.

Losing a job,  developing mental illness that wasn't caught in time, addiction before becoming homeless, PTSD among vets and other citizens;  abuse at home leading to teen-age homelessness-the list goes on.

When a person is suffering, it doesn't matter that they are using the streets for a toilet for pity sake.  The issue is how they ended up that way.

Exactly why throwing these "fixes" at symptoms do not work.

@CrazyDaisy  Not my point.  It isn't throwing fixes at symptoms if the homeless situation is being taken to task.  It would be just a fix if cleaning up feces was the ONLY thing being done.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

Is addiction the reason why people end up homeless or do the homeless fall into addictions not previously in their lives?

The studies are out there regarding percentages dealing with addiction and mental illness among the homeless but ultimately the homeless issue is secondary.  Something caused a person to end up homeless; those issues need more in-depth solutions to help ease this problem.

Losing a job,  developing mental illness that wasn't caught in time, addiction before becoming homeless, PTSD among vets and other citizens;  abuse at home leading to teen-age homelessness-the list goes on.

When a person is suffering, it doesn't matter that they are using the streets for a toilet for pity sake.  The issue is how they ended up that way.

@CrazyDaisy  Not my point.  It isn't throwing fixes at symptoms if the homeless situation is being taken to task.  It would be just a fix if cleaning up feces was the ONLY thing being done.

My point being if you put the money and effort to solve the bigger problem of homelessness and drug addition, the smaller problems solve themselves.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

My point being if you put the money and effort to solve the bigger problem of homelessness and drug addition, the smaller problems solve themselves.

@CrazyDaisy  I already said that somewhere on this thread. 

The feces still need to be cleaned up in the meantime.  It is a health hazard for both the homeless and those not homeless.  You know this.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh