Regular Contributor

San Francisco ordered to Shelter in Place

The Mayor has ordered San Francisco residents to shelter in place staring at midnight tonight.  I believe the same is for nearby counties.  Here is the news release, with an update coming in an hour: 

San Francisco Mayor London Breed is telling city residents to stay in their homes as a shelter in place order is issued.

"Effective at midnight, San Francisco will require people to stay home except for essential needs," Breed tweeted at noon Monday. "Necessary government functions & essential stores will remain open."

Individuals are asked to avoid all gatherings except for medical purposes, to get food, or for work reasons.

Breed is scheduled to address the restrictions and specifics at a press conference at 1 p.m.

Respected Contributor

Re: San Francisco ordered to Shelter in Place

@JanetsGirl   Watching the announcement now for Bay Area too.  Schools,  Bars, clubs, pubs closed restaurants open at half capacity, etc., hope this stops spread.

Respected Contributor

What is the plan for the homeless there?  I sure hope they can be safe from this.  

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Esteemed Contributor

More states are enforcing curfews.  

Regular Contributor

Here is the news:

SAN FRANCISCO, Calif. (KRON) — Six counties in the Bay Area are ordering residents to stay at home in an effort to help reduce the spread of coronavirus.

All residents in these counties should only leave their homes for essential needs.

Necessary government functions and essential stores will remain open.

The order will go into effect at 12:01 a.m. Tuesday and will remain in place for three weeks.

List of counties:

• San Francisco
  • Santa Clara
  • San Mateo
  • Marin
  • Contra Costa
  • Alameda

The shelter-at-home order comes as scientific evidence shows social distancing is one of the most effective approaches to slow the transmission of communicable disease.

“Temporarily changing our routine is absolutely necessary to slow the spread of this pandemic,” said Dr. Sara Cody, Santa Clara County Public Health Officer. “The Health Officers from the largest jurisdictions in the San Francisco Bay Area are united and we are taking this step together to offer the best protection to our respective communities.”

Essential businesses allowed to operate during the recommended action include:

• Health care operations
  • Businesses that provide food, shelter, and social services, and other necessities of life for economically disadvantaged or otherwise needy individuals
  • Fresh and nonperishable food retailers (including convenience stores)
  • Pharmacies
  • Child care facilities
  • Gas stations
  • Banks
  • Laundry businesses and services necessary for maintaining the safety, sanitation and essential operation of a residence.

In addition, health care, law and safety, and essential government functions will continue under the recommended action.

Esteemed Contributor

@4kitties wrote:

What is the plan for the homeless there?  I sure hope they can be safe from this.  

@4kitties  Here's a blurb about that issue.  

"California state government is procuring hotels and motels to shelter the homeless as part of the state’s effort to slow the spread of coronavirus, Gov. Gavin Newsom said Sunday.

In addition, the state is sending 450 travel trailers to locations around the state to help shelter many of the 108,000 unsheltered homeless people living in California, Newsom said.

Calling homelessness a “top concern” in the state of California, Newsom announced the measures along with the latest figures on the spread of COVID-19, the disease caused by coronavirus, at an afternoon news conference at the state Office of Emergency Services.

The homelessness measures will help “get people out of encampments and into environments where we can address their growing anxiety and our growing concern about the health of some of our most vulnerable Californians,” he said.

Newsom didn’t specify where the state is procuring the hotels or motels, or where it is sending the trailers."

TOP ARTICLES
Respected Contributor

@Caligurll 

Thank you Calgurll!  I have been trying to not watch too much news and had not heard of what plans were for them.  

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Respected Contributor

You gotta be kidding.  What about the gazillon derelicts sleeping, urinating and defacating on the streets.  Oh, I know.  With all the residents sheltering in place, the others will have clear sailing.

Respected Contributor

@Caligurll Homelessness a top concern?  Sure.  That's why the have printed "poop maps" to help the tourists avoid the mess.

Honored Contributor

Even if you don't care about the homeless (or for that matter, people in prisons), surely you understand that outbreaks among them are a risk to all of us.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland