Honored Contributor

Re: San Diego, anyone live there?

Have never lived there but have visited several times. It is a great place weather wise.  However, it is very expensive and traffic is the pits.  The downtown area has good public transportation.  I would suggest your daughter live as close to work as possible and hope that she has a very good salary!!  Good luck to her and trust she will enjoy her time in SD!

Honored Contributor

another note.....

if she will be taking her car with her i suggest that she get it checked out ahead of time.

california has some of the strictest emissions regulations in the country.

her car will have to be able to pass a smog check in order to register it in the state of california.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Contributor

Sounds like a great opportunity! That being said. I have lived in coastal San Diego County (southern and northern parts) since 1961! Now hubs and I are retired seniors on fixed incomes and let me tell you, gorgeous as it is, it is very difficult for us to make ends meet. We now pay the highest gas prices in the Country--even Hawaii. A studio apartment starts at about $1,700. Grocery prices are moderate, we shop at Walmart for most things. Popular attractions like the Zoo, Sea World, Legoland, etc., are prohibitively expensive for many. Politics are trending way out to the left.... Depends on where you stand on those things. Property taxes are out of sight. Vehicle licensing, registrations, smogging restrictions, etc., are ridiculous. We both had good jobs and steady incomes for all these years and didn't feel the pinch like now. We are anxiously awaiting to leave "America's Finest City" at the first opportunity, although family obligations keep us here. Sorry if I sound as though the thrill is gone.... Just want to share our reality. Sure, it's a nice place to visit--but....
Occasional Contributor

I've lived in San Diego for many years and love it here.  The weather is the big draw for many people and as a result the cost of living is higher than many areas of the US.  I don't mind paying a "sunshine tax" to live here.  It has good and bad like most major cities but to me the positive far outweighs the negative.

The VA Hospital is located in La Jolla, which is a lovely area of San Diego.  You asked about traffic -- major highways are busy during rush hour so living close to work would be a bonus.  The University of Califonia San Diego campus is located in that area and there are plenty of activities to keep her busy.  

I would recommend that she find somewhere she can rent on a monthly basis until she gets a feel for the city.  Once she knows the lay of the land she can decide which area best meets her needs.  She doesn't want to get locked into a one-year lease or buy in an area far from work or one that she doesn't like. We have so many great neighborhoods to explore. Her interests and tolerance for sitting in traffic will help her determine the best places to live.  

Best of luck to her!  I hope she enjoys her time here as much as I do.  I'm happy to answer any other questions that she might have about San Diego.