Honored Contributor

Re: San Bernardino school shooting

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@SydneyH wrote:

A military presence in schools is not necessary and I'm not even sure if it could have prevented this crime.

@SydneyH

Not necessary?    Have you ever worked in a school? 

All the school shootings we have every year, and you think that's okay?   I think there needs to be more stringent security, not just un-armed "security guards".  Maybe they should try a "military presence" in some schools as a test policy and see how it goes.  If nothing else, I bet the parents would feel more secure!     

I have two kids in school and I volunteer.  I don't want to see armed militia roaming the hallway period.

Esteemed Contributor

What I wonder is, how many schools are there in the United States, both public and private?

Now, how many people are in the National Guard?

Would there be enough people in the National Guard to roam the hallways of  EVERY.

SINGLE.

SCHOOL.

In the United States?

Honored Contributor

@151949

I wondered how many posts I would read before this subject came up, and who the poster would be. Reading posts prior to yours to me were neutral and sincere without being what I consider "stirring the pot", for a specific reason.

It won't be me that takes your bait. That said, I think this was a tragedy for everyone in the school, and all of the students parents. To me it was a terrible domestic problem that unfortunately ended up happening in this school. This man obviously cared more about his problems above everyone else's.

Condolences to every to the one(s) that lost their child in this tragedy and to those of the ones injured. 

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@DowntonAbbey wrote:

They do nothing about it................how many have to die?  Children?  Our schools should be safe, get metal detctors and oficers in the schools IT WOULD BE GREAT TO HAVE THE MILITARY IN SCHOOLS..........many could do the work............we have men waiting for war why not take care of schools until there is a war?  Well, I know where he is right now for sure.  He is hot and will be hot forever with no water.

Really.....your last sentence is totally inappropriate.  You have no idea what mental disorder this man may have had, and have no way of knowing what his eternity will be.  

Esteemed Contributor

These are some terrifying times we are living in thats for sure.

God bless all these kids and my heart breaks for that poor teacher. I can't begin to imagine the horror that sweet lady felt.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SydneyH wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@SydneyH wrote:

A military presence in schools is not necessary and I'm not even sure if it could have prevented this crime.

@SydneyH

Not necessary?    Have you ever worked in a school? 

All the school shootings we have every year, and you think that's okay?   I think there needs to be more stringent security, not just un-armed "security guards".  Maybe they should try a "military presence" in some schools as a test policy and see how it goes.  If nothing else, I bet the parents would feel more secure!     

I have two kids in school and I volunteer.  I don't want to see armed militia roaming the hallway period.

@SydneyH

Okay.   No armed security at schools.   Got it!

So WHAT exactly is appropriate security to protect children and teachers from people who walk right in and start shooting?  

I bet the parents in San Bernardino (and a lot of other places) would be quite happy to have better security at their schools.

Esteemed Contributor

@itiswhatitis wrote:

This is so terrible.  I read this earlier along with some other awful events around the country.  Why couldn't this man wait till she left the school and on her way to kill her and himself?  Rage is something very scarey to me.

Some people want media in death. This is a very sad thing to happen. These young children saw two people killed.

Esteemed Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

The most recent article I read stated that they were recenty married and he had "changed" despite their dating for many years. She had left him and was going to file for divorce. 

He had a criminal background and issues with domestic violence with his first wife.  Though the story's may be different in some ways, they all have the same outcome : (

@SahmIam  I didn't know about the criminal background.  All the rest I'd also heard.  If she had told the school officials about the earlier issues with domestic violence and that there was trouble at home, they may never have let him in the school.

Keepin' it real.
Respected Contributor

@chihuahuamom wrote:

I read they had dated for four years and she didn't know his criminal past.  How could that be?  They showed pictures of them on their honeymoom in Jan. of this year, and they looked happy. She had grown children. I'm not sure about him.

People see what they want to see. She believed what she wanted to believe.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Police searching his home didn't find a suicide note, but a note saying it was necessary to get closure, and he "felt disrespected".    

When a man gets acary, you have to keep him at an arms length .....  too bad she didn't think to tell the school to not admit him.  Yes, he could have gotten her going home, or in the parking lot, but maybe it would have been a warning for her.