Honored Contributor

Re: Samson, The 28 Pound Cat

Another Jack story...He was always bringing home 'strays'.  He brought me two or three baby bunnies (I remember 2).  Of course they were alive and he wanted me to 'save' them, which I did.  I kept them overnight (it was always evening) and then took them to an area where I knew they'd thrive and not be hurt.  

So, one evening he comes running into the back door (carrying something in his mouth) it limp.  Scared me as he'd never hurt anything before (bringing me live snakes, you name it).  This time he walks past me and over to one of his little fold up 'houses'.  He drops this little white thing in the hole....suddenly it POPs! out and goes rolling down the stairs, to the foyer and down to the rec room.  I'm like..."What the HAY was that?"  I went running down the stairs (following Jack).  

OK, I need to set the scene in my rec room.  I live alone in a house that used to house a husband and 3 lively daughters.  Back then it was myself and Jack....I didn't put away the fake Christmas tree.  I'd gotten as far as laying it in the box (with the box totally open).  The little white thing was nestled up in the fake tree.  I picked it up and it was a small bunny!  

The time of year was just beginning to feel the chill in the air (maybe late September).  I went to the computer and read about baby bunnies.  I learned that the less you handle the better, it is very difficult to keep them alive if they are very tiny.  I also discovered that they look younger than they usually are.  

I put the bunny in a little cage I used for the cats when they were tiny.  I put in a lot of blankets and set the cage in the bathroom next to the heat vent.  I can't remember now but there were very specifics on what they eat.  

The next morning Jack was laying by the closed bathroom door waiting for me....  I opened the door and a little face popped up...he'd made it through the night!  As the morning chill left I carried him down the street where the woods are thicker and there's a small stream.  (Jack was going crazy like..."that's my baby and where are you going with it").  I opened the age and out he came!  Scampering off...looking good to me.  When I got back, Jack went over to the cage, smelled it, walked around it and was off to a new adventure.  

Another time he brought in and laid right next to my feet a little tiny thing that looked like a rolled up cigar butt (so small).  I didn't know what it was.  It was brown but it looked like it had two eyes and was alive.  I went on my trusty internet (remember this was back a few years ago).  I found that it MIGHT be a tiny squirrel.  I called my neighbor (she saves baby kittens and other animals).  She said she'd send over her girls to get 'it'.  She called back and said she "thought" it was a squirrel but knew someone who rescued squirrels (yes, there actually is a kind soul that stays up all night feeding tiny, tiny squirrels to keep them alive).

I'll speed this up by saying the neighbor called about 2 weeks later and said she'd heard the squirrel was thriving and doing great (it was a squirrel).  She said I should give Jack a medal because he'd saved the squirrel.  She said the lady (squirrel lady) said it'd probably have fallen out of the nest in the trees and he found it.

Once again, Super Jackson to the rescue!  He was amazing.  You can see why he was so special.  I admit I wasn't a happy camper when he'd bring me a snake (sometimes alive)!  One time (again on the screened in back porch) I opened the door to call him to lunch and he looks down and there's a live snake.  It wasn't black like most he'd brought, this one was very colorful.  Looked it up and it was poisonous.  I called my neighbor and he said he'd be right over.  I went to the garage to get a shovel (to move it) and when I got back it was GONE!

I never found that snake!  

I don't know if I mentioned this but my cabinet in the living room has become a mausoleum.  I've lost count now but last I looked there were 6 wooden boxes with a gold plaque and black lettering on each one.  They only tell the name of who's ashes they are.  They don't tell the love these babies of mine have give ME over the years.  They don't tell the tears I shed at night over my beloved husband when it was just me and my cats.  They don't tell the laughter I've had just watching those silly cats.  They just tell the name and date.  

That's OK, I know all of it.  They're up in Heaven with my beloved husband.  He loved, loved our cats.  I can't get over people thinking cats aren't affectionate or have much personality.  Maybe I've just been lucky....Naw!  My guess is all of you cat lovers have been lucky too because my guess is your furbabies are as wonderful as mine...

Have a great day ladies...

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC Inappropriate/unkind

Esteemed Contributor

@songbird wrote:

28 pound cat.  Jeez....We desex animals and all they care about is food and sleep.  And nothing in between.  Groteque obese animals.  And people mooning over them.

Have a sparkling day!

Esteemed Contributor

Hi @Annabellethecat66, Love the Jackson stories.  Sounds like he was quite the lovebug.  Amazing, how animals have different personalities and a sense about people, as well.  I so admire folks who have "companion" trained dogs and bring them to hospitals, nursing homes, and such.  What a positive reaction they get!  It just perks everyone up so much.  

Honored Contributor

@PamfromCT

Thank you!

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66

Jackson was 1 in a million. I am touched by your experiences with Jackson and how he brought other animals to safety, knowing you would help them ❤️

Honored Contributor

Poor Billy...he spends 1/2 his life begging for food!  I spend part of it telling him no!  He does like to eat.  I've been really working with him trying to get some of the weight off of him.  He isn't obease but he needs to loose weight.

I love that cat so much I don't know what I'd do if he got sick.  I think as his Mom it's my job to see that he doesn't get that way (like we do for our children).

I always used to tell my girls (when they started college) the thing I did for them was to raise them to push away from the table when full, laugh at least once a day, don't take yourself seriously, love yourself (how can you expect others to like you if you don't like you), be kind to everyone, respect everyone's ideas (especially those you disagree with, that's when you grow and learn).

I can't do that with my kids (Billy and Katie (the cats) but I can control their weight (I wish I had someone controlling mine)...Ha!

Honored Contributor

You're one of the best human beings ever, @Annabellethecat66.  Heart Cat Very Happy

Hugs to the three of you...