Respected Contributor

Saltopia response from email I sent their site

[ Edited ]

I received this very nice email back explaining the lack of shaker tops. Very fast response.

We actually do not do "shaker" style tops because we don't use chemicals in any of our products. Most store-bought salts and spices have two very bad chemicals: anticaking agents and pouring agents that give those products the "free flow" ability through shaker style lids.  You see, sand sticks to us when we go to the beach at the ocean because of the salt in the water. Salt makes the sand sticky. When you go to a fresh water lake - the sand doesn’t stick to us. Salt is naturally sticky, hence why big companies add these chemicals to keep salts from being sticky. I always tell my customers we sell our products in open mouth jars with spoons to avoid chemicals. If you want to put the salts into shakers (which you can find at a local dollar store) then just add some rice to the shaker - like they do in the Caribbean! The rice will keep the salts dry and offer you the shaker style lid you desire.  
Thank you so much again - your support means the world to me!!

Honored Contributor

Re: Saltopia response from email I sent their site

Very interesting, thank you for sharing.  I'd never heard that salt is not inherently bad for you, that the bad part are the things producers add.  I guess that's one reason for salt grinders.

Honored Contributor

Take everything with a grain of salt.

Don't believe that everything people say is bad for you really is bad for you.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm going to take what Saltopia said with a grain of salt.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Respected Contributor

If I need medical advice I'll ask my Doctor.

Honored Contributor

so many health claims by businesses don’t stand up to a whole lot of science.

i will continue to be watchful of the amount of salt I add to me foods as well as the amount that is in whatever processed food I buy

Otherwise, I can wait to read a more independent scientist examine Saltopia’s claims.

Respected Contributor

Fillers, or added chemicals, in many products have often been of concern. And, often unnecessary.  

For example, one of my medications (of 10 years) used to be a very small tablet.  On last  two refills, it was from a different pharmaceutical supplier and it's three times as large as the previous pills. If the active ingredient could have been in my tiny pill, what are the fillers they've added to the current one?  And, why? These things should concern us.   

Some of what the Saltopia representative offered sounds like common sense, but it is a stretch to state these filler agents are the direct cause of so many serious illnesses. It would have been more relevant, if he had listed some of these agents and evidence to support their dangers. 

Honored Contributor

I can't speak to the validity of the claim of the additives in salt being what's bad for you, but I do know that natural sea salt is often touted as a better alternative than table salt.  That's what I use.

I also use it in a salt grinder.   Because it has moisture in it that clogs the grinder, I take a pound of it and bake it to remove the moisture.  I spread it out on a cookie sheet, bake it in the oven at about 325-350 until it dries--usually 5-10 minutes.  Then I put it in a plastic container to store and only take out what I need to fill the grinder when needed.  It stays dry and works great in the grinder.

I've used sea salt for years and now much prefer it to table salt.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Salt from the grocery store is not salt.

I have used Pink Himalayan Salt for years. It still contains the 84 trace minerals salt from the grocery store does not have.

It does not have any additives, no caking agents.

It also has a saltier taste so you will use less of it.

I love the taste of it.