Honored Contributor

Re: Salmonella tainted tuna used in sushi made 62 people sick in 11 states....

I used to transcribe for an ER and I won't touch sushi after some of the GI episodes described after someone had sushi.  One doctor always admonished people to only eat at a very busy sushi bar.  

Valued Contributor

I've tried sushi one time, and that was one time too many for me.

I have some friends who love it, but I just can't.

Honored Contributor

@Citrine1 wrote:

@winamac1 wrote:

OMGosh I eat tuna several times a week.  I love it--espeically ahi.  YIKES

Me too.  If I could only eat one food for the rest of my life, it would be tuna.  I LOVE it!

ditto!

My friends make "fun" of me as they know everywhere I eat out at...I order some form of tuna!  i love it!  ugggghh  I hate hearing this. 

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Respected Contributor

Tuna is very risky to eat raw or even Ahi style. 

i had a bad case of horrible GI sickness the day after eating leftover Ahi Tuna and that was at a good restaurant.  i ordered Ahi tuna and i got a humogous piece of it.  it was a special on a  Sunday nite and i wonder if they were trying to get rid of it. i reheated the leftovers the next nite and i got sick.

Tuna builds up Histotixins and is carefully regulated at sea as it is caught. When temps fluctuate, as it is cooled, as it thaws, then is heated in the case of Ahi, then cooled again. the histotoxins increase. 

i called the state DOH about this because i had been so sick . They said even canned tuna is vulnerable. It isnt the mayo, its the histotoxins.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Could it be that canned tuna is treated with some type of preservative/anti-microbial (or whatever) substance?  I don't know anything about canned tuna; maybe it's already cooked?  Anyway, I don't know of any bad instances (that I've heard of, of course) regarding  commercially canned in the U.S. tuna.  Where exactly is canned tuna processed/canned, anyway?  p.s.  I always buy salted canned products because salt is a natural preservative. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

I eat tuna but I cannot stand sushi. I wanted to try it my whole life and finally did 5 years ago and it honestly was the worst food that I ever put in my mouth lol. I immediately spit it in a napkin.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Honored Contributor

I read that commercially canned tuna is indeed cooked.  To eliminate bacteria, and also parasites (which are common in raw fish).

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).