Regular Contributor

Re: Sales Tax on Online Purchases Ruling

Yes, I live in a state with income tax which has not been reduced.  Unfortunately, we are not a large population state so they tax everything that moves -  or doesn't.

Respected Contributor

if my state leaders weren't such wastrels, i wouldn't object. however......

Trusted Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

Many people would head to NH to avoid the sales tax in MA.

MA used to send letters out to those folks with the sales tax figured out.  I don't know how many people actually paid or how MA followed up but they used to track sales tax debt through credit card and personal check purchases. 

Large items being delivered to MA were especially hit.

I don't know if that holds true today.

I can't see it being legal for the state to access your credit or bank records, but large items would have a bill of lading.  Florida has been going after items like furniture for years.

Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Trusted Contributor

@Krimpette wrote:

@songbird Where in Maryand are you talking about?  I've iived in Maryand for probably over 30-40 years now.  Never felt that we were taxed to death.  But then, again, I never knew that Maryand was considered one of the richest.  Nice to hear that.  But back to the subject, it won't change my on-line shopping habits.  I've been expecting it for quite some time.

Oh, your taxes are very high, and you're rich because of all the government workers.  It's the same for various counties in Virginia and Delaware.

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Trusted Contributor

@GenXmuse wrote:

That’s what net neutrality brings ya. 

Net neutrality died a little while ago.

Trusted Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

I think most of us could see that coming.  I buy almost everything online and I live in sate with a sales tax but while I am not thrilled with the idea,  I'm not totally against it.  The money from the sales tax benefits the state and cities and towns.  It pays for things that benefit us; like road work and schools and equipment for police and firefighters.  I'd be paying sales tax if I was mall shopping.  I'll grumble and mumbe about it when it kicks in but it won't change how I shop.

We had roads, schools, police/fire, and a military before the income tax was ever created.  Government always grows and wants more, and they don't care about being efficient.  There's an estimated 200 billion in fraud with Medicare and Medicaid alone, and yet who is trying to stop it?

Honored Contributor

This may be hard for businesses to implement, especially small businesses.  Of course, states will make the rules.  Already, laws vary by state and rates can vary by county.  There will be software, if there isn't already, to help businesses comply and file necessary monthly / quarterly / annual returns in the many jurisdictions where shipments are made..  Can you imagine an Etsy seller doing all this?  Hopefully,states will get together and adopt uniform rules.  That would help a little.

Esteemed Contributor

Sales tax for each state that has it allows the state to cover other expenses. If there are sites which do not charge tax, the state you are in loses out and so do the benefits the tax provides. Some sites, like the Q even charge tax on shipping and handling, which I am not fond of. My state borders a state with no sales tax. People would buy their cars in that state and them bring them back to my state. That required legislation to change, but they did it through the licensing of out of state vehicles. I guess I am someone who does not begrudge paying my share of taxation when I see where my taxes go to improve life for residents.

Honored Contributor

@Blahblahvampemer wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

Many people would head to NH to avoid the sales tax in MA.

MA used to send letters out to those folks with the sales tax figured out.  I don't know how many people actually paid or how MA followed up but they used to track sales tax debt through credit card and personal check purchases. 

Large items being delivered to MA were especially hit.

I don't know if that holds true today.

I can't see it being legal for the state to access your credit or bank records, but large items would have a bill of lading.  Florida has been going after items like furniture for years.

@Blahblahvampemer  I'm not completely sure how it worked because we were never bagged for MA tax for shopping in NH.

I don't think MA was accessing cc and bank records; I believe NH and MA had some type of agreement regarding the tax but how NH gave MA the info is unknown to me.

I did mentionearlier that the large ticket items were especially hit; but that also could have depended upon if the item was delivered or taken by the customer.

I do know MA had some way of figuring out who owed more tax and if any state can do it, it would be MA.  LOL

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

@Marp wrote:

The Supreme Court says states can force online shoppers to pay sales tax.

The 5-4 ruling Thursday is a win for states, who said they were losing out on billions of dollars annually under two decades-old Supreme Court decisions that impacted online sales tax collection.

The high court ruled Thursday to overturn those decisions. They had resulted in some companies not collecting sales tax on every online purchase. The cases the court overturned said that if a business was shipping a product to a state where it didn't have a physical presence such as a warehouse or office, the business didn't have to collect the state's sales tax. Customers were generally supposed to pay the tax to the state themselves if they don't get charged it, but the vast majority didn't.

More:  chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/ct-supreme-court-sales-tax-20180621-story.html

Highlighting this for the people who think this represents an increase or a new tax.  Every day people here on these boards are talking about not being charged tax on online purchases, like they're getting some sort of deal. It was only a matter of time before this loophole was closed.