Honored Contributor

Re: Salary You Need to Afford the Average Home in Your State

@I am still oxox wrote:

I live in NY, and the $91,000 is an aerage since upstate is much cheaper than Scarsdale

@I am still oxox

I live in Manhattan ... I just googled and the 2018 median home price in Manhattan is $1,323,500.    It looks like a minimum income of about $120,000 is needed to qualify.  

Honored Contributor

@151949

It also doesn't address living rural vs living in a city - which are vastly different money wise.

Duh? That is why it says average.

Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

I live in NY, and the $91,000 is an aerage since upstate is much cheaper than Scarsdale

Hi @I am still oxox  I have family in Scarsdale.   What you posted is so true! Taxes alone are a killer! 

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Super Contributor

I am PA (born & bred) yup ! ... no surprise there.

Curious, why would MN be so high?

Honored Contributor

I agree with all of you who disagreed with Jersey's number. I can't speak for southern Jersey, but central and northern Jersey is very expensive. 

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Honored Contributor

My state is about right. 

Super Contributor

We live well in a large, nice home in a high end community in NC for far less than the average indicated on this map. BUT, we have very little debt. 

Honored Contributor

@dmod nj

Ha I live one town South of Scardale, less cost and attitude here 

@dmod nj wrote:

@I am still oxox wrote:

Hi @I am still oxox  I have family in Scarsdale.   What you posted is so true! Taxes alone are a killer! 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Esteemed Contributor

I disagree about estimate for California; I lived in a rural area and maybe you could get a small home for that but this is an average and when include any big city this won't work.

Trusted Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

Yes, perfect example. Let me add update NY is much cheaper than my part of Brooklyn, too!  New York City property taxes are relatively low ( certainly compared to Scarsdale) but cost of the homes here is surprisingly high. 

I bought my house in 1983 for a bit over $79K. It’s only 1180 square ft. I’d be able to sell it pretty quick if I asked for $425K right now!. That’s not much compared to houses in Scarsdale, but upstate NY, no one would need that kind of money for a house like mine!  

Annual salary averages are not true indicators of home values in a state like NY, and perhaps others. There are big extremes in buying power when there are real distinctive differences in urban, suburban and rural living locales.