Respected Contributor

Re: Salad Bars: what are your favorite items?

I eat a salad for lunch every day.

I won't eat from a salad bar.  Just watching somebody pick up something with their hands to taste or sneezing or coughing into it turns my stomach...

Honored Contributor

I think it depend on the caliber of restaurant you are in, if the salad bar is appetizing and clean. 

Some of the huge mass marketed places with salad bars are just gross. We frequent some Amish restaurants, that are very busy and very well attended, and the bars are clean, restocked within minutes because they are so busy, have a little different clients and staff working, so I don't question the cleanliness or the quality of the food. 

Anyone in Ohio, I recommend the Amish Door restaurant (especially the one in Wilmont) for a good and fresh basic salad bar. Lots of fresh whole produce, and some really different prepared salads that you don't see other places. Even includes the best ham salad I've ever eaten, and a great pudding type dessert (and a few others). Very clean, well stocked and fresh.

Honored Contributor

I have never eaten anything from a public salad bar.

A few times I've eaten hot food from a buffet, but even that is not my thing.  Eating in restaurants is in the past for me also, but I did eat out once a week when I was in a relationship for ten years and we went out to dinner every Saturday night.  However I always chose food that was fully cooked (and always asked for well done). 

I loved cooking and was an excellent cook.  And I ran a clean kitchen.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

When I go out to eat, I don't want salad!  I can eat boring food at home!  Also, I don't find a salad bar appetizing.   

Honored Contributor

I don't do salad bars.   

Contributor

@Bri36 wrote:

I won't eat from a salad bar.  Just watching somebody pick up something with their hands to taste or sneezing or coughing into it turns my stomach...

I've gotten to the point where I won't eat from any restaurant buffets for that reason.  It's not because of the quality of the food (although salad bar lettuce always had me running to the bathroom by the time I got home - they should serve it with a side of Imodium!), but rather all those people handling the untensils after their hands have been God-knows-where.  The management should place one of those hand sanitizer posts you see in hospitals at the start of each buffet and ask customers to please use it before enjoying the buffet. 

Respected Contributor

@Nebby wrote:

@Bri36 wrote:

I've gotten to the point where I won't eat from any restaurant buffets for that reason.  It's not because of the quality of the food (although salad bar lettuce always had me running to the bathroom by the time I got home - they should serve it with a side of Imodium!), but rather all those people handling the untensils after their hands have been God-knows-where.  The management should place one of those hand sanitizer posts you see in hospitals at the start of each buffet and ask customers to please use it before enjoying the buffet. 

@PunkinEater, I'm just convinced people like to touch food. 

I was at the grocery store the other day.  They have a bakery section with artisan bread that you can buy whole or however much you need.  They'll slice it for you too.

There was a man picking out his bread.  He was actually reaching over the glass panel and touching the bread that he wanted and pointing to exactly where he wanted the bread cut.  I was so disgusted.  The bakery worker took that bread and threw it out then.  I would have said something if he didn't.

Respected Contributor

no salad bar for me.  none of the markets here have them and i noticed the one market that had a hot meal bar got rid of that one too.

and those glass cases for bread and rolls.  you are supposed to use paper sheets to pick the item and so many do not!   the ciabatta breads are in the case too with no paper bag. you have to take the whole bread out of the case and then place it in a bag. one day i saw a kid reach in and yank out a loaf. he ran over to the cart and the mother yelled at the kid to put it back and it slipped and hot the ledge under the case.

i've started making my own bread again

Honored Contributor

@ashleigh dupray wrote:

no salad bar for me.  none of the markets here have them and i noticed the one market that had a hot meal bar got rid of that one too.

and those glass cases for bread and rolls.  you are supposed to use paper sheets to pick the item and so many do not!   the ciabatta breads are in the case too with no paper bag. you have to take the whole bread out of the case and then place it in a bag. one day i saw a kid reach in and yank out a loaf. he ran over to the cart and the mother yelled at the kid to put it back and it slipped and hot the ledge under the case.

i've started making my own bread again

I think salad bars were far more popular many years ago. I don't see them at all where I live.

We mostly eat at home, but when we do go out, we want to be served. I think buffets and, to some extent, salad bars promote overeating.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

I like a dead bat in my salad, as long as he's organic and no one has sneezed on him.

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org