Honored Contributor

Re: Salad Bars: what are your favorite items?

We don't eat at salad bars, I've seen people put their hands in the food or sneeze on the food.  No, the "sneeze bar" does not protect the ingredients, especially not when children are sneezing.  Numerous illnesses have been spread by way of salad bars.

I always have a lot of salad-bar-type of ingredients at home to serve.  During the holidays I made spiced nuts to have as a salad topper. 

Esteemed Contributor

If human sanitation wasn't bad enough, one of the early things which turned me off of salad bars was I actually saw a cockroach crawling around one in a well known fast food eatery.  It was at the time this establishment was running a national ad campaign promoting their salad bar as an alternative to burgers and fries.  I don't really want to say the name outright since this occurred so long ago, but Dave's daughter could have had more diligent housekeeping.  Haven't been in one of their restaurants since, and it doesn't matter if it's the only place I may pass on a road for miles when traveling by car.  I'd rather have a bag of chips and a soft drink from a convenience store.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

I like a dead bat in my salad, as long as he's organic and no one has sneezed on him.

Oh goodness @mistriTsquirrel this actually made me snort . . . thanks for the chuckle!

For the record, I used to live by a place that had a wonderful salad bar which I could pick and choose all sorts of different and delicious options and hope to find the same in my new area . . . with or without organic bats . . . Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Just remember, you'll pay a premium for an organic dead bat -- especially if it's grain-fed, cage-free, and non-GMO.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't eat salads in restaurants.  Unless an item is served hot, I won't eat it. Too many things (I won't mention here) that I've run across in salads through the years.  I've been served lukewarm items, and I won't even send them back.   There's a saying re: sending food back, so I just leave it there 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).