Respected Contributor

Saga of the lost wedding ring.

My husband has lost some weight which he's been trying to do so his wedding ring was getting a little looser.   I warned him about taking it off when he worked in our yard.  I told him until we could get it re-sized it was better to leave inside the house.  

Well about four months ago he was working outside and didn't follow my advice and he lost the ring.    He searched for it and as luck would have it the ring suddenly appeared in the grass. Grateful that he found it, he promised that he would be more careful in the future.  Another month went by and he forgot and went out to do some work in the garden and lost it again.   Once again, luck was on our side, and the ring miraculously was found after both of us searched for a day.   

As you can imagine our luck ran out.  Three weeks ago without thinking he went under our house to check the pipes under our bathroom.    He said he immediately noticed that he still had the ring on but thought he would just finish what he was doing which was only going to take about 15 minutes and then come back into the house and put the ring in a jewelry chest.    Those 15 minutes were all it took for the ring to fall off his finger

He searched for over a week under our house and all around the area. I think he spent at least five hours each day searching everywhere he had been.    It was just gone.  He said he thought that maybe an animal had carried it off.   I told him that idea was ludicrous.  

He said he just dreaded telling me that he lost the ring again because he felt terrible.  I knew how bad he felt so I just told him that it was okay.  He said let's go to the jeweler so I can get another ring.   So off we go to purchase an new wedding band.  

Well the cost of gold has increased substantially since we purchased the first ring.  Now he has a brand new $900.00 wedding band.   It's a beautiful band and it's wider and has a lot more gold than his first ring.   He was really pleased with it and I like how it looks on his finger.   It's also been sized to fit his finger.   He's at the weight he wants to be now so I don't think the ring will loosen up again.

We both felt bad about having to spend that amount of money but we just chalked it up to something we had to do and both resolved to be extra careful with our rings.   Obviously him more than me.   After realizing how much a new ring set him back he will definitely be more careful in the future.   Both he and I are pretty darn careful with how we spend our money.   

You'd think that was the end of our story, but there's more, today he's outside working and the new ring is safely tucked in it's box.   I'm in the kitchen and I hear him knocking on the window and there he stands with the lost ring in his hand.  He said he looked down near the back gate and there was the ring.   He swears he looked at that area over and over in the week he throughly searched the yard.     He said that ring was not there at all.   He's now determined that a small animal found the ring somewhere and just dropped it there.   I told him you can believe whatever you want but that new ring better never get lost.  

He said I really like the new ring better would you be upset if I just continue to wear it.  I told him I have no problem with that.   I'm just happy we found his original ring and even if it sits in the jewelry box at least we still have it.

Honored Contributor

Re: Saga of the lost wedding ring.

@J Town Girl...tell him you want a nice long chain for Christmas so you can wear his original ring around your neck. Over the years I have seen a lot of women wear a ring that way and it can be a conversation starter...

I am happy that he found it....

Esteemed Contributor

I was going to suggest the same thing @Trinity11 

Respected Contributor

I love stories with happy endings.   My husband's first wedding ring was stolen from our house.   We called the jeweler and he made a duplicate.   DH lost that one.   We've now moved 1/2 way across the country so the chance of finding it are slim and none.

My older niece woke up one morning a couple of months ago and her wedding bands were on her nightstand but not her antique engagement ring.   They still haven't found it.   She is heartbroken but is hoping someone found it somewhere and is happily now wearing it.  

I hope she has a happy ending to her lost ring .

Honored Contributor

You needed a metal detector for that last time he worked under the house and lost it.
Honored Contributor

That's funny.  It's like women when we upgrade our wedding sets, we keep our original wedding sets or wedding rings.  

Esteemed Contributor

I lost my wedding band many, many years ago.  We were planting things in the fall and the cool weather made my fingers shrink.  I got that warning from somewhere when it fell off once, but did I put it in the house?  No.  And I lost it.  I didn't realize it was gone until I was doing something and noticed it wasn't on my finger.  We looked all over where we were working. 

We didn't replace it right away.  I wore a cheap band that I'd worn when I was single to discourage someone who didn't know me well enough to know better. 

Anyway, we replaced the ring it a couple of years later and like in the OP's case, the replacement cost much, much more...almost 15 times more.  We could have gotten something for less, but I insisted on one as close to the original as we could find as it was different and people often remarked about it.  I still wear it. 

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@J Town Girl     My first thought was why did you not get the first ring sized to fit him?  Seems like you had time to do so.

My hubby and I were married in 1981 with the justice of the peace for  $25... anyway, we never had rings.  We were broke when we got married, could not barely afford the $25!

Now  married just about 40 years, we have never had rings. Just not important. We know we are married.  No one has ever asked me where my ring is to this day.

Honored Contributor

My dh and I have always had the custom of taking off our wedding rings when we come home and change. We NEVER work around the house with our rings on. Never have lost our wedding rings in the past 41 years. I just wouldn't want our rings all dirty and worn out if we wore them when doing chores. Glad you found your ring.

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

@ID2. I think that's wise. My best friend, married for 44 yrs, refuses ever to take off her wedding set. It seems to me that she thinks if she does she won't be married any more! Crazy!