Honored Contributor

Safe deposit boxes aren't safe

Wow!😲 This was eye opening to me.  If you have a safety deposit box.....and have valuables in it you assume are SAFE.....you might want to read the fine print on your safety deposit  leasing agreement.  They may not be safe at all! A must read for those with valuables in a safety deposit box!

I only have a few papers in mine....now I know never to put real valuables in one.  You learn something new every day!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/personalfinance/safe-deposit-boxes-arent-safe/ar-AAEyX56?li=BBnbfcL

Honored Contributor

Re: Safe deposit boxes aren't safe

First off, don't ever assume anything.

Honored Contributor

Thank you, SeaMaiden.  I have been thinking to return some jewelry to my safe deposit box.  Now I know that I won't.

Respected Contributor

That's a crazy story. I would imagine most people have never considered a safe deposit box to be so unsafe.  Somebody needs to sue the pants off these banks for letting people steal all their stuff. I feel bad for all these people losing precious things.

Honored Contributor

@Grouchomarx wrote:

That's a crazy story. I would imagine most people have never considered a safe deposit box to be so unsafe.  Somebody needs to sue the pants off these banks for letting people steal all their stuff. I feel bad for all these people losing precious things.

@Grouchomarx   I think many people think that it is a safe place ....probably better to invest in a real good safe in your home( not a cheap one) if you have valuables 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Something I've seen - firsthand - banks commonly do is leave the person alone in the vault who drills open the safety deposit boxes of people who owe on them. 

Whaaaat?   That person can drill open any darn box he or she wants, then, take the contents, and replace the lock on it.   Why would they ever leave anyone alone in the vault who can open any of the boxes?

Honored Contributor

bunch of phoony

Esteemed Contributor

Wow how sad for that man. I have paperwork in mine. I copied all of it and the copies are in my home. Thanks for the heads up on this issue. 

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden Well, that sucks! Smiley Mad

I'm glad I read your post. With my mother dying last month, there were things of hers I wanted to preserve in some place that was safe. I thought about a safe deposit box at my local bank, but maybe not now.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

With valuables like this, install a very good alarm system in your home, store them in a very heavy safe with jimmy proof lock, put a moat around the house with alligators in it, an electrified fence and bars on the windows and doors, get a pack of huge attack dogs, drones hovering overhead, always make sure someone is always awake at home holding a loaded gun.  HA!  Even that wouldn't be foolproof.