Respected Contributor

Just a reminder - as this time a year brings about a lot of battery use - tossing batteries in the garbage is a fire hazard.

Since we had a fire a work from someone tossing used (or dead) batteries in a garbage can and the "wrong ends came into contact with each other" a fire started.  After the firemen read us the riot act I am boarderline parnoid about another accidental fire. ! Smiley Happy

I wanted to remind others to not make the same mistake we did, be cautious when disposing of old batteries.

Honored Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl

Thank you for this info, I never knew this!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

@KingstonsMom Neither did I. It was a scary way to learn.

People looked at the woman who did it like she was some kind of nut for doing such a reckless act.  !!

For what it was worth there were several of us who did not know this.

Valued Contributor

I have to save all mine up until I have a big load, and then take them out to the city recycle center. It's kind of a pain, and they get heavy, but this is what is required here. I could put them in the trash, and probably a lot of people do, but I am an avid recycler. I try to do the right thing. 

Respected Contributor

@tdog wrote:

I have to save all mine up until I have a big load, and then take them out to the city recycle center. It's kind of a pain, and they get heavy, but this is what is required here. I could put them in the trash, and probably a lot of people do, but I am an avid recycler. I try to do the right thing. 

Be careful how you store them or you could have a fire!

My friend told me her the Healthcare facility she works they are no longer allowed to do this because of fire risk and patient safety.  If she wants to recycle batteries she has to take them home!

Valued Contributor

I put them in a cardboard box! I never thought about them causing a fire. 

what is the right way to store them? I can't drive out to the dump every week?

Honored Contributor

@tdog wrote:

I put them in a cardboard box! I never thought about them causing a fire. 

what is the right way to store them? I can't drive out to the dump every week?

Yes, what should we do with them ??

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

Well this is a new one to me.  I always throw mine in trash, and I use a lot of batteries. Good to know,  but I don't know of anyway they can be disposed of.  I keep new batteries in a container in the refrigerator, (that gives them a longer shelf life)  guess I could do that with the dead ones as well. I'll have to call the recycle center and see what they say---Good information  Thanks for posting. 

Respected Contributor

If you have batteries for power tools you can take them to Home Depot also CFL bulbs.

Respected Contributor

image1 (33).JPG