Honored Contributor

Re: Saddest Day Ever My Dog Was Dx With Stomach Cancer

Aw, Butterfly, I'm so sorry to read this. There's never any time of year that makes it easier to endure, but it's especially sad when we're entering what's usually a happy time of year for most of us. I hope your remaining days with your sweet boy are filled with love and wet, sloppy kisses and that your heart will be warmed by his presence until you both know "it's time". And then, that you'll be at peace knowing you gave him the best life possible.

Respected Contributor

I am so sorry for you, your family and your wonderful Boy. I know the pain of losing Shelties. They are special Dogs, so loving and the relationship you form with them is strong. I am praying that you get through this. I always remember the wonderful life that I gave my babies and the fact that they would have never left me if they could have helped it. You are in my prayers.

Esteemed Contributor

If you can afford a consult with an oncologist, I'd try....if only because they are better attuned to the kinds of meds that can keep your dog comfortable and with a good quality of life, however shortened that may be. You pup is probably not eating because he's nauseated, so to give him an appetite stimulant without something for nausea is hardly helpful. If his fate is sealed, with appropriate palliative care, he can at least enjoy the simple pleasures and have a more peaceful passing. Just because you go to an oncologist doesn't mean you lose control over your pet's destiny or your wallet. If there's no medical hope w/o drastic measures, they'll tell you that and you make all the decisions. We've had a beloved dog die of the same cancer and I can't imagine our vet sending us home with a stimulant and a blithe "enjoy the time he has left" without at least a minimal attempt to make him more comfortable. Prayers for you and your dog.
Super Contributor

On 11/15/2014 Butterfly12 said:

My wonderful beautiful Sheltie of 13 years which has giving us such joy had stopped eating for a day when I brought him to the Vet and after many tests and an ultrasound yesterday they found many had many lumps in his abdomen and going into his pancreas which the Docotor said was Cancer My husband and I are devastated. She didn't prescribe him anything for pain and said just enjoy the time you have left. I stated he won't eat his dog food she said I could give him an appetite pill ( I forget what she called it) but she said why prolong the inevitable(sp). thell, I don't want my dog to starve to death so I have been giving him some things that I cook and he eats very little. I am thinking of going to an Oncologist just to see if he needs pain meds and what I could feed him. What would you do?

So sorry Butterfly12.

I think checking with an oncologist to see if he needs pain meds and if there's anything recommended to feed him is a good idea. I wouldn't get involved with treatments but you don't sound like you're thinking that way and only want to see what to do to make your dog to be the most comfortable. I think it might give you a level of comfort too knowing you did all you could for him. All the best to you.

“There are things that we don't want to happen but have to accept, things we don't want to know but have to learn, and people we can't live without but have to let go.” Author Unknown
New Contributor

On 11/15/2014 Sammycat1 said: If you can afford a consult with an oncologist, I'd try....if only because they are better attuned to the kinds of meds that can keep your dog comfortable and with a good quality of life, however shortened that may be. You pup is probably not eating because he's nauseated, so to give him an appetite stimulant without something for nausea is hardly helpful. If his fate is sealed, with appropriate palliative care, he can at least enjoy the simple pleasures and have a more peaceful passing. Just because you go to an oncologist doesn't mean you lose control over your pet's destiny or your wallet. If there's no medical hope w/o drastic measures, they'll tell you that and you make all the decisions. We've had a beloved dog die of the same cancer and I can't imagine our vet sending us home with a stimulant and a blithe "enjoy the time he has left" without at least a minimal attempt to make him more comfortable. Prayers for you and your dog.

I couldn't really say it any better than this. Our family lost an Australian Shepherd to this a few years back and I know going to an oncologist would have provided peace of mind for us in making decisions for our sweet boy. I'm so sorry for your situation.

Esteemed Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss. Godspeed to you and your dog .

Valued Contributor

Butterfly12, just wanted to say how sorry I am that your family received this diagnosis Having been through cancer with a dog and a cat, I understand how devastating it is. I also want to say that I completely agree with Sammycat-she gave you very sound advice. Best wishes and blessings for you and your pup.
Honored Contributor

On 11/16/2014 Charming2 said:
On 11/15/2014 Butterfly12 said:

My wonderful beautiful Sheltie of 13 years which has giving us such joy had stopped eating for a day when I brought him to the Vet and after many tests and an ultrasound yesterday they found many had many lumps in his abdomen and going into his pancreas which the Docotor said was Cancer My husband and I are devastated. She didn't prescribe him anything for pain and said just enjoy the time you have left. I stated he won't eat his dog food she said I could give him an appetite pill ( I forget what she called it) but she said why prolong the inevitable(sp). thell, I don't want my dog to starve to death so I have been giving him some things that I cook and he eats very little. I am thinking of going to an Oncologist just to see if he needs pain meds and what I could feed him. What would you do?

So sorry Butterfly12.

I think checking with an oncologist to see if he needs pain meds and if there's anything recommended to feed him is a good idea. I wouldn't get involved with treatments but you don't sound like you're thinking that way and only want to see what to do to make your dog to be the most comfortable. I think it might give you a level of comfort too knowing you did all you could for him. All the best to you.

Taking the dog to an oncologist is an expensive way to find out if he needs pain meds. Your regular vet should be able to advise you as to whether or not the dog is in pain. Since meds were not mentioned, I'd assume they were not needed but you certainly could call and ask.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

What a very sad time for you and your family. I know you will do what's right for him. My prayers are with you all!

Respected Contributor

Butterfly, just checking in to see how things are going. I'm keeping you in my prayers.