Honored Contributor

Re: Sad news about Amy Van Dyken Rouen...Six-time Olympic gold medalist

I looked this up on the spinal cord injury website. They said -normal breathing - normal upper extremity strength and use - normal bathroom and sexual functioning. Extreme weakness of the lower extremities which would mean a wheelchair for mobility but would be able to stand to pivot into a chair or a car seat etc. So a T11 should be able to stand but not walk. Would be able to drive a specially equipped car. (hand controls). She would also be able to wear normal clothing since she can stand to get dressed and also would be able to pivot onto a shower seat, so except for walking would have fairly normal function. Of course every spinal injury is individual.

Honored Contributor

On 6/10/2014 Jules5280 said:

So very sad, Amy is such a great athlete. Those ATV's can be so dangerous and I am surprised she wasn't wearing a helmet. I knew Tom Rouen, we went to the same HS and he dated some of my friends. He and Amy make such a wonderful couple. My prayers go out to both their families. She has sustained such a severe injury, but there are such incredible rehabilitation hospitals and if anyone can make a recovery it's Amy. Bless them.

I know Jules...believe it or not we know several family friends who have lost children from riding ATV's...so sad.

TY for the info Happy housewife!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Super Contributor

Amy has the best smile and is in good spirits, last I read about this.

She'll be a fighter for sure for the best recovery she can achieve.

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Super Contributor

On 6/10/2014 happy housewife said:

I looked this up on the spinal cord injury website. They said -normal breathing - normal upper extremity strength and use - normal bathroom and sexual functioning. Extreme weakness of the lower extremities which would mean a wheelchair for mobility but would be able to stand to pivot into a chair or a car seat etc. So a T11 should be able to stand but not walk. Would be able to drive a specially equipped car. (hand controls). She would also be able to wear normal clothing since she can stand to get dressed and also would be able to pivot onto a shower seat, so except for walking would have fairly normal function. Of course every spinal injury is individual.

There are so many advances each day in spinal cord injuries, partly due to the Christopher & Dana Reeves foundation. They work with electrical stimulation, robotic, not to mention just the power of prayer. Obviously her injury is so new, and she has only just had one surgery of many to come. There is swelling, and it might be awhile before her doctors can properly access the ramifications of her injury. Amy is a fighter and a winner, and even swimming is a rehab therapy. She might just start swimming before she can walk, or she may never walk again. I know she has lots of prayers on her side.

Honored Contributor

Thank you for the information.

I remember Amy, her outstanding career, and that beautiful, huge smile.

I hope her recovery goes well.

Honored Contributor

She has one thing going for her...well more then one but she is in superb shape and this wil help her in her recovery.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Honored Contributor

there are various levels of injury a person can do to their spinal cord that may or may not cause paralysis - but a severed cord definitely can not be rehabbed back to any level of function below it - severed is not able to restore any level of function below that injury. if the paralysis is caused by injury that is less than an actually severed cord some times there can be some recovery but not when the cord is actually severed. I am unfortunately very familiar with spinal cord injuries as my father had a C2 spinal cord injury from a car accident and was paralysed from the neck down including having to be on a ventilator. He died 7 months after his accident. His cord was not severed but just traumatized and they said if he survived after a few years he may have some return of function but he was not able to overcome the pneumonias that plagued him constantly because of being on the ventilator.

Honored Contributor

I wish her a speedy recovery.

Honored Contributor

there are various levels of injury a person can do to their spinal cord that may or may not cause paralysis - but a severed cord definitely can not be rehabbed back to any level of function below it - severed is not able to restore any level of function below that injury. if the paralysis is caused by injury that is less than an actually severed cord some times there can be some recovery but not when the cord is actually severed. I am unfortunately very familiar with spinal cord injuries as my father had a C2 spinal cord injury from a car accident and was paralysed from the neck down including having to be on a ventilator. He died 7 months after his accident. His cord was not severed but just traumatized and they said if he survived after a few years he may have some return of function but he was not able to overcome the pneumonias that plagued him constantly because of being on the ventilator.

There was a news story not too long ago of a new technique where the two damaged ends of the spinal column were modified to accept a special material (mononuclear cells (I think?) combined with something) along with something else that would serve as a lattice for new nerve cells to follow which supposedly restored a high level of function to test subjects that had suffered completely severed spinal cords. I don't remember where I saw the story or the full details, but it impressed the heck out of me. Scar tissue/adhesions had to be removed and the recovery wasn't fast but a significant number of test subjects showed a marked improvement following the treatment.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Super Contributor

Oh no no no............so sad and bless her heart. A long journey ahead but I would think she would have family and many supporters...........our bodies are not as tough as people make the out to be......for sure our back, neck, brain are so fragile.