Honored Contributor

Re: Sad at this time of year...

How about some kitty pilgrims to brighten your day?

Contributor

I think life has been unfair to you and you are sad and hurting. That is a dark place to be. Please know that probably everyone you know has walked down roads that were dark like yours. You will find sunshine and joy in time. Just allow time to mourn your lose and then take baby steps toward the sunshine of each new day. Surround yourself with friends and family who will uplift you and support you and challenge you to move forward. I think you will put this pain behind you one day soon and life will be great.

Honored Contributor

On 11/25/2014 bigsister said:

My Christmas will never be the same since my husband and my sister have died. I planned my Christmas around them and now they are not here. No one can fill their void. We don't get over the loss of a loved one; I'm just trying to adjust to their absence.

OP, I'm sad for you, too.

I do try to keep a smile on my face and it does help somewhat.

Funny how those beautiful plans that you had for others seem to make things so much sadder when they're gone. I los a very special relative in the spring, and we had a particularly nice holiday last year. This year, I'm doing the holidays in a totally different way. I think that helps a little.
Respected Contributor

violann, I am sorry for your loss of a special relative this spring. Their absence will be noticed, especially by you, but you are planning a different way to celebrate the holidays. That's exactly what I mean when I say, "we have to try and adjust to their absence."

I will be thinking of all of you who are grieving and "adjusting."

Honored Contributor

On 11/25/2014 bigsister said:

violann, I am sorry for your loss of a special relative this spring. Their absence will be noticed, especially by you, but you are planning a different way to celebrate the holidays. That's exactly what I mean when I say, "we have to try and adjust to their absence."

I will be thinking of all of you who are grieving and "adjusting."

So kind of you bigsister. I will certainly be thinking of you as well, and also hoping that all of us who do have to adjust to new circumstances through these holidays are able to "get through".
Honored Contributor

I understand. My mother died on November 30 when I was a child. Every year around this time I feel melancholy wondering what might have been had she lived. My dad died shortly after Christmas. Both my in-laws are gone as is my oldest brother and I miss them all so very much. Holidays are always a mixture of sadness for the past ... and hope for the future.

Blessings to all who feel an overwhelming sadness during the holidays. May God lift your spirits.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Esteemed Contributor

The last family celebration I had with all my family was Thanksgiving, 1995. My father died soon after, my daughter and family moved 1200 miles away, and my mother became too debilitated by arthritis and carduac problems to travel. Now I try to make new holiday traditions. My oldest daughter and my granddaughter come up for Thanksgiving and we go to a gorgeous inn overlooking a lake for a very beautiful dinner...and I'm not stuck in the kitchen with clean ups. Then, in December we all go down to Florida, where my younger daughter makes a soup-to-nuts dinner to celebrate all the holidays and birthdays that we miss during the rest of the year. It's a new family tradition and it works for us.
Super Contributor