Super Contributor

Re: Sad and tragic reminder.....

On 12/28/2014 mineralgirl1 said: I am so sorry about this, how sad. Not only food items, but plants. Holly berries and pointsettialeaves are toxic.

Thank you, mineralgirl1.....and you are very correct about plants. Thank you for that reminder as well.

Super Contributor

On 12/29/2014 glmama said:

I am so sorry to hear this.

We try to be very careful with chocolate in our house, but I know that accidents can and do happen. I have kids so its especially challenging to remind them constantly that if they are eating anything that they have to be VERY Careful.

Thanks, glmama.......the accidental incident that occurred involved a lovely Christmas surprise for my sister and her husband from well-meaning nieces and nephews who LOVED my sister's dog. The chocolate was left under the tree, unbeknownst to my sister, and their little Yorkie got into it. Has been quite a lot of grief and loss for everyone. It clearly was one of those accidental life instances, yet the pain and sorrow are so great.

Esteemed Contributor

On 12/28/2014 elated said:

Sorry for the loss of their pet but how did the dog get ahold of the chocolate? It is sad that so many people should not have pets because they are careless and irresponsible. How much chocolate did the dog ingest before they found out?? Please tell whole stories instead of snipets!!!! I see so many people that should not have pets because they do not realize the challenges and care that pets need.

Well, aren't you a lovely person.

Super Contributor

Sorry for the loss of their pet but how did the dog get ahold of the chocolate? It is sad that so many people should not have pets because they are careless and irresponsible. How much chocolate did the dog ingest before they found out?? Please tell whole stories instead of snipets!!!! I see so many people that should not have pets because they do not realize the challenges and care that pets need.

elated--Although I read your initial condolence in your post's first sentence, I feel sad and rather offended by your judgment and poor empathy skills as they negate your "sorry." I believe I shared that it was an unintentional accident and we are all grieving. I have shared what I am comfortable with sharing and not interested in neither detailed explanations nor defending--the intention of my post was sharing with other loving pet owners so they do not have a similar experience vs. judgment and condemnation. I wish you contemplation in your future words.

Esteemed Contributor

Ah no,

I just read this and am so very sorry to know that this death was due to food, that even I did not fully know. I do not have any doggies. Thank you lucylover64 for EDUCATING the rest of us who DO NOT KNOW!

In reference to elated: forgive her. She was possibly just overwhelmed thinking all of us would know this.

And, without the others' posting added foods, I, too, would not have known.

I am so very sorry.

_Naes

Super Contributor

On 12/30/2014 _Not an easy sale said:

Ah no,

I just read this and am so very sorry to know that this death was due to food, that even I did not fully know. I do not have any doggies. Thank you lucylover64 for EDUCATING the rest of us who DO NOT KNOW!

In reference to elated: forgive her. She was possibly just overwhelmed thinking all of us would know this.

I am so very sorry.

_Naes

_not an easy sale: you are welcome and thank YOU. I definitely understand and forgive any unintended words or tones.....especially since this topic can bring up so many feelings for all of us in addition to other things going on in our lives.
Esteemed Contributor

On 12/26/2014 lucylover64 said:
On 12/26/2014 Matty6 said:

I am so sorry for that loss. Not only chocolate but onions, grapes and raisins are also toxic if dogs ingest them. Thank you for the reminder. I have four rescue dogs and you can not be too careful.

Matty6--Thank you so much for your reminder and info: I was unaware of onions being toxic to dogs. What kind of rescue dogs do you have?! We have a rescue terrier mix and she has been so awesome!!!! :-)

I have clubber spaniel a beagle mix a lab and a yorkie. We also have our3 new feral cats we care for.[they come and go and sleep and eat and drink water in our heated garage.] Thank you for adopting, terrier mix's are awesome. My hubs and I do a lot of work rescuing animals and finding them great 'forever homes. Happy New Year, and come visit us at the pet chat corner forum great people and a fountain of wonderful information from great folks with wonderful hearts.{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes} Take care!

Esteemed Contributor

Good evening! There is a lot of wonderful websites that tell you about foods that dogs and cats must avoid. Raisins are toxic as well. The links are lost to me now because my computer had a virus and had to be cleaned and nothing could be saved. Just goggle ""What foods are bad for dogs and cats"" and plenty of links will come up. Most surprised me. I am a great believer in informing ones self. Happy new Year!

Esteemed Contributor

On 12/30/2014 lucylover64 said:
On 12/30/2014 _Not an easy sale said:

Ah no,

I am so very sorry.

_Naes

_not an easy sale: you are welcome and thank YOU. I definitely understand and forgive any unintended words or tones.....especially since this topic can bring up so many feelings for all of us in addition to other things going on in our lives.

......... dear lucylover64,

again one thousand times Thank YOU~

I just told my husband and he did not know about the chocolate being ingested by dogs, and he bred Border Line Collies.

Accidents happen every single day under all types of situations. I know that you love your pets..I have to tell you what I can sense~ I can only -ONLY- imagine how your sweet sister must be feeling~

I am going to google, per Matty6's title search, then print out: The foods that are TOXIC to cats and dogs.

Thank you............ Smile so very ...........MUCH

Respected Contributor

Hello, elated. Smile

Sometimes accidents happen to even the best pet owners. If you ever watch a show on Animal Planet called Bag Dog!, it shows real pet owners with real clever pets who actually know how to open cabinets, climb up onto high shelves and even climb up over really high fences. Sometimes, accidents just happen.

Besides, a good pet owner being harsh on themselves won't bring their pet back. Strangely enough, good pet owners are hard on themselves when these things happen and bad pet owners don't seem to care one way or the other. Go figure.

~Nick Chavez is my favorite vendor on QVC and Alberti Popaj is my favorite QVC host.~
Nick Chavez now has his own sub-forum under the My Favorite Brand folder