Honored Contributor

Re: Sad News: Pat Boone's Wife, Shirley, Has Died at Age 84

free2be,

I found this under Red Foley's Wiki entry:

Red and Eva had three daughters: Shirley Lee (Boone), Julie Ann (Neely), and Jenny Lou (Pankratz), who recorded with their parents on Decca as the Little Foleys.

Shirley Lee Foley married actor-singer Pat Boone in 1953. Their daughters are Cherry Boone, Linda Lee, Laura Gene and country and Christian music singer Debby Boone.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Maybe she did, I didn't know anything about her, vaguely recall she had blond hair and her first name so I thought maybe she was on some of his albums.

Honored Contributor

Mrs. Boone no doubt had a nice long life with PB, I'm sure her family will miss her.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Jubilant wondered if Red Foley's "Peace in the Valley" will be played at Shirley's service.  It certainly would be fitting and uplifting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbKkO2fLvho

Also under consideration might be Debby Boone's "You Light Up My Life."  It could be regarded as a tribute to faith in dark times rather than to a new love.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdEBxyz9pfc

Honored Contributor

A great love story. Reminds me a bit of George and Barbara Bush.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Godspeed , Shirley..................

They lived down the   block from me  Smiley Sad  (in NJ)

Oh,I had to add ,I forgot this.....

When my first daughter was born,Shirley and I were both in labor together. The halls were filled with flowers and ,visiters had a very hard time getting in to see us because Shirleys private  room was guarded.  It was exciting............

Respected Contributor

@jubilant wrote:

Shirley's father was Red Foley a country/gospel singer.  He sings a great version of Peace In The Valley.  I wonder if they will play that at her funeral.  May she rest in peace.

That would be quite appropriate Jubilant.  She was certainly a woman of deep faith.

Honored Contributor

@Free2be wrote:

Did she sing?

@Free2be  lots of talent in that family and extended family.  Shirley (Foley) Boone was the daughter of Red Foley who was a famous country singer back in the day and part of the Grand Ole Opry.  I don't know that Shirley was a singer in her own right, but I'm reasonbly certain that I remember her singing with her husband & daughters on a couple of tv specials in the early 70's. Daughter Debby Boone is married to Gabriel Ferrer who is the son of actress and singer Rosemary Clooney (George's aunt) and actor Jose Ferrer.  My husband and I saw Pat & Debby do a show together a couple of years ago.  She was friendly and as pretty as ever, and he was spry, kind. and easy to talk to.  

Honored Contributor

Ms. Finch,

Check one of my previous posts on this thread in which I copied and pasted some info from Red Foley's Wikipedia page.  Shirley sang along with her father and sisters before she married.

Honored Contributor

She was the rock of this family. Decades ago, their marriage was on the skids. Pat  had sort of slipped off the path ,they had taken, and the marriage was in trouble

Shirley started praying, that the feelings of love, she once had for Pat, would return. She was faithful, and patient ,and the marriage was saved. I am not revealing anything, that wasn't made known to the public. She ,and one of her daughters, appeared on talk shows ,and spoke about it. She may have even written a book, and given interviews about it

It just shows how important faith was in her life, and how she really lived it, through all times, just like in the wedding vows she took