Esteemed Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

Today would have been my mother's 95th birthday, January 31 will be 4 years since she passed. I don't cry everyday and can speak of her without crying, but I feel like I'm only treading water keeping afloat and should be further along in my grief. They say time heals all wounds, in the short term it's true, but in the long run the hole in your heart can never be filled you carry it with you. So I will think of my mother today, I may even shed a tear or two. Happy Birthday mom, I miss you. 

@Jordan2 

My mother died on Valentine's Day 1969 and I think of her every day, moreso on Valentine's Day than her birthday. My mother would be 123 years old today.

Grief is personal to everyone, there is not set time clock with which to measure. I got married on Valentine's Day, nothing to do with "romance", everything to do with the 3 deaths in my family on Valentine's Day. My wife was happy to get married on that specific day.

Time helps, but for me, it will never heal.

hckynut 🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Re: Sad Couple of Days

[ Edited ]

@Jordan2 wrote:

Today would have been my mother's 95th birthday, January 31 will be 4 years since she passed. I don't cry everyday and can speak of her without crying, but I feel like I'm only treading water keeping afloat and should be further along in my grief. They say time heals all wounds, in the short term it's true, but in the long run the hole in your heart can never be filled you carry it with you. So I will think of my mother today, I may even shed a tear or two. Happy Birthday mom, I miss you. 

@Jordan2  Today would have been my Mom's 78th. She died 14 years ago.  I don't think it gets easier, we just learn to live with it more and remember the good times more. Heart

Trusted Contributor

Re: Sad Couple of Days

[ Edited ]

@Jordan2 I just wanted to send you a virtual hug. I understand your pain, I lost my Dad in 2020, the grief can knock me over some days it hurts so badly. Happy Birthday to your dear Mom. Sending prayers your way. XO

"Dogs heal hearts they never broke"
RIP Lexi aka "Momma" 1/15/24
Honored Contributor

I just want to say again how much I appreciate all the kind words and wisdom, some of them made me tear up. I'm sitting in my living room next to my end table with the last picture of my mom and she had the warmest smile, how I miss it. 

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 - As you can see, a lot of us have walked in your shoes. I heard someone say a while ago that in time the pain lessens. Don't believe it. It doesn't. I can be having a normal day and in the middle of it I just break down. The hole in your heart won't heal. 

Give yourself permission to grieve the way you want and to feel the way you want. 

Years ago I read something that gave me comfort. A young actor was taking his last breaths. His wife, holding his hand, raised it to her heart and told him to jump in, because that's where he will live forever. I believe that, and it has given others comfort.

She lives in your heart, and things you see and experience- and dream - remind you of her love for you. (((HUGS)))

Trusted Contributor

@Jordan2  heart and prayers go out to you.  Praying God's love wraps your heart in healing and hears your pain and tears and guides you to a place of peace.  I lost both my parents within 5 days of each other in Feb 2018.  It was very hard.  I had wonderful parents.  I took comfort in knowing that in the end I will see them and our souls will once again be together. 

Yes it's hard not having them here during the hard times in my life (and there have been many), but in the end on those hard days, I would close my eyes before I went to sleep and tell them I loved them, I missed them, and I know that they are still there beside me and I thanked them for the strength helping me to get through my problems.  For some it doesn't get easier.  I pray you can find a place of peace with your grief, and that in the end, her love will always be waiting for you.  

Respected Contributor

We never stop missing our mothers. There is no one else who can fill that special place in our hearts. I lost my mom 9 years ago, and I think of her and miss her every day. The good thing is now the many memories I have bring smiles now,  instead of tears. That comes with time. I am so thankful she was my mother and raised me the way she did. Bless you as you remember your mother and know that time will help your sadness.