Honored Contributor

Re: SWINGIN' BENNY GOODMAN, "SING, SING, SING" !

Pa Mom-mom !!

Love the fact a strict Mennonite listened to Hendrix and called him a genius!!!!!!  He was and I find it wonderful his music touched someone you wouldn't think it would.  It just proves music is for everyone and there is something in all music that reaches out to all ages.  

Esteemed Contributor

@spiderw wrote:

Pa Mom-mom !!

Love the fact a strict Mennonite listened to Hendrix and called him a genius!!!!!!  He was and I find it wonderful his music touched someone you wouldn't think it would.  It just proves music is for everyone and there is something in all music that reaches out to all ages.  

@spiderw For Dad, it was about the music. His Dad listened to the Met opera broadcasts every Saturday afternoon whenever he could. Not completely sanctioned by the other members of the church leadership.

Respected Contributor

Oh Oznell I loved watching them. This was my Moms music. She went dancing three nights a week when she was young. That music was always on when I was growing up.

Honored Contributor

My parents loved to dance. My Dad was deaf but he could feel the beat of the music - esp if it was a live band. So when we were small they would take us along when they went dancing and it was usually swing music. We kids learned to dance to that music. Everything from a waltz to a jitterbug. If we weren't dancing to swing music we were roller skating to it - another thing they enjoyed and we learned at an early age. 

Esteemed Contributor

I have always loved the music from the big band era!!  My mother used to listen to it!!!  One of my favorite movies was about Glenn Miller (Jimmy Stewart) and  his wife (June Allison).  The story follows Glenn's life until death!!  Good music......

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

151949, gosh I wonder if your Mom and Dad ever met my Mom and Dad that was exactly how we were brought up dancing parents. It was nothing for the kitchen table to be moved to the wall and there would be my parents dancing around the kitchen. Us kids became really good dancers because they taught us how to do all the different dances. We always were allowed on the dance floor at weddings because we knew how to dance and did not get into the other dancers way. In the old days  before they were married my Mom worked for a family who wintered in Florida. One of the letters that my Dad wrote to my Mom he asked her if when she returned to Pa. could he please have the first dance with her I always thought that was true affection they had for each other. She wrote back and said she promised to have that dance with him. By the way they went dancing all over the Pittsburgh area on the weekends that my Dad did not have to work. Our grandparents would watch us kids. Guess to be honest every aunt and uncle we had were all good dancers. Now they are all dancing up in heaven. My parents had a fortune invested with records of all the different bands they danced too. Big band music and polka bands were part of family.

Honored Contributor

@cater We always knew that any trip to Kennywood  ended up at danceland for the evening. All my memories of Kennywood include danceland. When I was a teenager some of my friend's parents were getting divorced, but we would watch our parents dancing close, holding each other, and we knew they were together forever. I spent a lot of time dancing with my brothers at danceland.Occasionally meet a cute boy.

We spent  time as children at the roller skating rink in Cheswick,Pa. It was where my parents met. My Dad worked there - he was the guy who helped you up if you fell, and he was friends with my Mom's brother. Anyway, he would get my Uncle to trip my Mom  so he could help her up and get to talk to her. She said she had to go out with him or she would have gotten a broken hip from all that falling.

Another place we went a lot was the officers club at the air base next to the airport. My Dad was an officer in Civil Air Patrol and he could go there, and they had live bands every Sat. so we went often.

Whenever my folks and their friends got together at someone's house it always involved rolling up a rug and dancing.

Esteemed Contributor

@151949 Roller skating!! That's what we did, too! Mennonites were not supposed to dance, but we were allowed to roller skate. Go figure.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

"Cats are like potato chips, you can never have just one".
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks, @Oznell. What was Harry James doing inthere? I guess that's how he started. I love Big Band music. There's a station here that plays nothing but. I'm a Stan Kenton fan-the singers, oh, my. June Christy, Chris Connor, and more.  Good memories.