Honored Contributor

SWEET THANKSGIVING IN A KITCHEN

The questions on here about Thanksgivng made me think of the topic of low-key, Thanksgiving feasts that may be different than one's usual practice.  Like this year, if you have a reduced number of people at the table.

Brandy Jackson is a wedding photographer who is temporarily living with her husband in a tiny but cute one bedroom Phoenix apartment.  There is no dining table, not enough room.

Sorry I couldn't find a decent still photo to give an idea of her little kitchen, other than this, which is not the Thanksgiving setting!  But just know that the video I linked at the bottom of the post does show her with the island cleared and then being set up for Thanksgiving.

maxresdefault.jpg

This video she did last year on putting on Thanksgiving on her kitchen island, in her immaculate little kitchen, I thought was fun.  Almost any place can be a place of festivity.

Nothing's earth-shaking, and the components are so simple, like cheesecloth, real pumpkins, candles.  But it's the mood that counts, and she creates a very nice one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVfMiSCfGWU

Trusted Contributor

Re: SWEET THANKSGIVING IN A KITCHEN

I love this!  Simple and elegant wins me over every time.  I'd much rather sit at something like this than a table that's overdone with 8 gazillion holiday decorations. Thanks for sharing!  

Honored Contributor

That was my exact reaction too, @LdyBugz .  The charm of simplicity.  I love to see also that "can-do" attitude that takes almost any circumstance and wrings the positive out of it...

Honored Contributor

@Oznell   Beautiful!  I learned something about lighting the candle at the bottom to melt the wax before putting them in the candlesticks.  I always use those little wax tabs that you buy.

I am surprised she didn't know that the forks go on the left.  I enjoy her videos.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

You're good, @NickNack !  I didn't even notice that.  Now I'm going to have to go back and note the forks on the wrong side.   I wonder if she's left-handed like me. 

Sometimes with things like that, even when I know which side should go where, I have to stop and think-- or risk getting things bolluxed up!  I always blame my spatial confusion on being "right-brained"--  convenient excuse!

That's a good trick with the melted wax.  I have some shallow, midcentury candlesticks that I always have to do that to, or risk toppling tapers....