Honored Contributor

Re: SUICIDAL FATHER DRIVES TWIN TODDLERS OFF CLIFF; OFFICER RESCUES

Those poor children! That policeman is a TRUE hero!!!!  

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

Wow!  Incredible story!  Thank goodness there was a competent and quick thinking police officer nearby when it happened to save them. Those poor children.  I hope they recover from the trauma.

I can't imagine getting rid of the police like some are wanting...they do a lot of good.

@haddon9, if anyone has actually stated that we should "get rid of the police," that person is either exaggerating or living in a fantasy.

Reform is what is on the table.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

I saw this. He's a K-9 officer, and he used his dog's 100-foot tether to rappel down the cliff. How lucky!

What worries you masters you.
Esteemed Contributor

😲Those poor babies! This story broke my heart, but thank goodness it has a happy ending!  Hopefully, this disturbed father will get the mental health help he desperately needs, and compassionate care. 

The quick thinking of that heroic officer is deserving of the highest praise! Those babies are truly BLESSED!🙏

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Honored Contributor

Boy, it's been hard to find an update on the twin who sustained more serious injuries than her sister;  I wonder if there's a news blackout due to their minor status and the delicacy of the situation?   Hope both toddlers doing better after a horrendous experience...

I did find out that this officer, Jonathan Wiese, a twenty year department veteran, was also recently honored for capturing the active shooter suspect in a local synagogue shooting, at the Chabad of Poway synagogue.  He sounds intrepid and pretty invaluable!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oznell 

I read about this case online today. A woman called the San Diego Sheriff's Office about 4:30 a.m. to report that a man was threatening to kill himself and his toddlers by driving off a cliff. The article doesn't identify the woman who called. I tend to think it was the mother of the children but that's just a guess on my part. 

Right at this moment I'm having some very negative thoughts. I'm a social worker and have worked on a number of cases where a parent threatens suicide and attempts to or kills the children in the process. I won't get into that right now. One of the toddlers is in critical condition.

Thanks to the brave officer, Jonathan Wiese, who risked his own life to save them. He's a true hero.

Honored Contributor

That's a good guess about the woman who called it in, @Silver Lining --  I think later reports did confirm it was the children's mother.  Imagine what she must have gone through....

I'm going to check again today to see if there's any updated info on the condition of the more serious twin.  I hope the police department is preparing yet another commendation for their courageous officer and the team who worked so well in the midst of a hideous situation.

Respected Contributor

Thanks for sharing a story about a cop doing a great job and extra.  These are the types of stories that we need more of in the news - the heroics. 

These stories are heartbreaking. What could be so bad that you would choose to kill your kids. I hope the toddler in critical condition pulls through.  

I hope that officer is highly commended. That was extra. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

ca-times.brightspotcdn.com.jpeg

Suicidal parents who endanger their own children are among the worst and most haunting of scenarios.  Thank goodness this San Diego police officer, Jonathan Weise, showed quick thinking and courage upon spotting the truck upside down in the water.  He utilized a SWAT 100 foot "leash" he had, mobilizing other officers to lower him down the cliff after he saw the father in the water with one of the girls in his arms.

Very long, harrowing story short, he brought them in using life-saving water rescue technique.  Incredibly, they are expected to recover, thanks to that wonderful officer and his team.  And I trust a safe refuge established for those dear little children after their ordeal, and in depth treatment for that father.

Praise the lord, they will be ok and the police officer was able to act so quickly. Amazing. 

Honored Contributor

Amen, @aprilskies and @happycat !  

As of a few hours ago, they were still saying that although one child had serious injuries, she's expected to recover too.  Hope that holds-- at least it's a good sign.