Honored Contributor

SUICIDAL FATHER DRIVES TWIN TODDLERS OFF CLIFF; OFFICER RESCUES

ca-times.brightspotcdn.com.jpeg

Suicidal parents who endanger their own children are among the worst and most haunting of scenarios.  Thank goodness this San Diego police officer, Jonathan Weise, showed quick thinking and courage upon spotting the truck upside down in the water.  He utilized a SWAT 100 foot "leash" he had, mobilizing other officers to lower him down the cliff after he saw the father in the water with one of the girls in his arms.

Very long, harrowing story short, he brought them in using life-saving water rescue technique.  Incredibly, they are expected to recover, thanks to that wonderful officer and his team.  And I trust a safe refuge established for those dear little children after their ordeal, and in depth treatment for that father.

Honored Contributor

Re: SUICIDAL FATHER DRIVES TWIN TODDLERS OFF CLIFF; OFFICER RESCUES

Wow!  Incredible story!  Thank goodness there was a competent and quick thinking police officer nearby when it happened to save them. Those poor children.  I hope they recover from the trauma.

I can't imagine getting rid of the police like some are wanting...they do a lot of good.

Honored Contributor

I wonder how many family members knew this father had serious problems.  To endanger the children is a tragedy and I hope the father is held accountable and the children placed in a safe environment.  There had to be signs of depression or mental illness before this incident happened.  

Yes, it is commendable the officer was able to help and save the family.  There are many policemen who perform good deeds and care about others.  But sadly there are a lot of bad seeds who bring down the standards and need to be weeded out.  I know as I worked with many cops.  Getting rid of cops isn't the answer of course but reforms must be made and positive change.  I'll leave it at that.

Thanks, Oznell, for a story which ended well thanks to Officer Weise, God bless him.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

And the father should lose all contact with those children, be charged with attempted murder and then sent to a mental health facility until he is healthy enough to go to prison. Won't happen. Then again, in my world he would have already paid the price for what he chose to do to those INNOCENT children.

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Respected Contributor

An officer told KGTV that the toddlers were sitting on their father's lap when the crash occurred. The truck landed upside down in water — had the girls been in the backseat, they likely would have died.

"I have a 2-year-old daughter at home," Officer Jonathan Wiese, with the San Diego Police Department, told the TV station. "So I imagined, what if that was my wife and kid down there? You're not going to stand there on the cliff and watch it happen."

Wiese was lowered down to the crashed truck with an 100-foot dog tether, where he rescued the girls and their father. One of the toddlers was critically injured, and the other only had minor injuries, according to KNSD-TV.  I'm Praying the twins fully recover.

The father, who had non life-threatening injuries, is now in custody and facing attempted murder, according to reports.

Esteemed Contributor

God bless that officer and his team. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell  When I saw the title of this thread, I thought how unlike you it was to post something so terrible.  But the happy ending...that's your style!

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

A town south of us had people rally who want to cut the police force in their city, and then a group of people had a rally to support them.  

I can't imagine what we'd do without so many good people taking care of us.  There are always a few rotten apples, but by and large I admire police officers so much for what they risk and what they do. 

Honored Contributor

Agreed,  @FiddleDeeDee ,   the father must lose contact with those children, and must face the legal consequences of his action.  I was assuming he'd be charged, regardless of his mental state, and that is appropriate.

I am hoping in addition, that he is ordered into mandatory treatment for his condition-- it's vital, if he is eventually loosed upon society again, that no similar scenario have to play out with other innocents...

@esmerelda, hey, you know me too well!   If the outcome had been what we all dread, I'd not have been able to post it-- it's too devastating and I hate to be one that might bring other posters down.

The account that I read had said "all expected to recover",  so that made me go ahead.  Then, since posting, I read possibly a more recent report that one of the toddlers was in critical condition-- that is horrible.  I'm also praying hard that she gets better.

I think we all love and are bolstered and inspired by examples of both physical and moral courage, like Officer Weise's and I love to highlight those.

Respected Contributor

Amazing rescue!  I had to go to the news stories and read all the details.

That officer is a real hero!