Contributor

Re: STEVE BRYANT'S BLOGS - interesting!

I agree that he has become a bitter old fool but I do believe that he is right on about the shopping channels. I just wish he would come clean about certain show hosts instead of posting comments and not naming names, drives me nuts. I don't know why he does that, it's not like any channel will hire him again. WAY past his expiration date.

Honored Contributor

On 1/8/2015 TUBOLARD said:

I agree that he has become a bitter old fool but I do believe that he is right on about the shopping channels. I just wish he would come clean about certain show hosts instead of posting comments and not naming names, drives me nuts. I don't know why he does that, it's not like any channel will hire him again. WAY past his expiration date.

He could be sued for libel by the people he names. And I'm thinkin' he also doesn't have the guts. He couldn't even get the occasional infomercial if he did that.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

Read the Fat Elvis Syndrome blog (using the link above.) He's still harping.{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

(I had previously read A TV Shopping Fairytale when I made my earlier comments. How many blog entries does this guy do on home shopping, anyway? Get over it Stevo, they don't want you.)

Honored Contributor

Do I remember correctly that he used to go on some board or blog and ream people who dared say anything negative about him?

Super Contributor

Lots of hate for poor Steve here. I dunno, I kind of liked Steve. I'm not sure what to make of his "blog". I think he must feel that he was unjustly treated when he left, I don't know what happened but I don't think he was happy about things while he was there and how he left. I do think he has some valid observations and really good points. However, the delivery is really odd and the blog itself is really quirky, but so is he.

One thing I have observed is, that once a host leaves QVC, they seem to be so lost. They don't ever seem to really be able to do or be happy doing--anything else. Maybe that is because the job as host is so unique. I do think there is a lot of ego involved in the host job. I think that you must be very firmly grounded not to let it go to your head, the high salary and being in the position to meet and rub shoulders with stars and people really connected in the fashion and beauty business. I think the reason most people seek out the job as host is because they genuinely love being in the spotlight and getting attention. If you can't be in Hollywood in a movie or on a tv show, it's an alternative of sorts, the culmination of the dream job for someone who is a bit of a narcissist! You have to be really grounded in who you are, to not let it go to your head and let yourself get wrapped up in all the wealth and glamour and glitz that goes with being on television, even if it is "only" home shopping.

I do think Steve seems to have some good points about what is happening to tv shopping, but he seems oddly focused on it, for having been gone for so long. He does seem a little preoccupied with it. It might serve him well to move on and let things go that it seems he's kept thinking about all these years.

Valued Contributor

He may be bitter and disgruntled but I agree with him. You can see with Q Plus they are already going to pre-recorded programs. They tried it with You're Home with Jill earlier in the year. It's the same products over and over again. They had pre-recorded programs overnight when the Vitamix was the TSV. I think they will go to internet shows eventually. The internet will eventually kill home shopping on TV. I know I purchase more and more on-line. Amazon had a huge impact on QVC I believe.

Regular Contributor

I enjoyed watching Steve Bryant on QVC. He was knowledgable and oftentimes quite humorous in his presentations.

I just read Steve's blog and enjoyed it very much. I didn't find it whiny or mean-spirited. There is a lot of truth to what he wrote. He has an insight that none of us here have since we have never worked for a shopping channel network. It will be interesting to see what the future holds in store for this industry.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks for posting this. I read some and enjoyed it, will read more later. I don't find Steve whiny really, it's just his opinions. I think he's right about what's happened with QVC.

Respected Contributor

Steve's observations were spot on, but let's face it, the TV shopping channel genre is aging. Nothing stays fresh, new, and exciting forever. Heck, I remember when indoor shopping malls were the biggest thing. It was such a novelty going from store to store without having to go outdoors. Everyone in town was there. Now malls are closing, many need refurbishing, and the newness is gone. TV shopping will probably go through many more evolutions before it finds its niche again, but it will never be like it was in the early days.
"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Super Contributor

I don't remember him in the ugly terms some of you do. I thought he was down to earth, didn't take himself too seriously, and had a great sense of humor. He has had a terrible tragedy in his life that would cause most people to not want to go on, but nevertheless continued as best he could. I think he was recently diagnosed with cancer, but don't know if that's been confirmed. He had a wonderful appreciation of music, art, photography, theater, etc. I wish him well and a life of happiness.