Super Contributor

Re: SSA notice arrived today

You are very lucky to have that but not all jobs paid well and not all companies offered retirement plans. Some people don't realize that wages were low until the late seventies or early eighties,then Regan got elected President and fired the Air Traffic Controlers and after that a lot of people lost jobs and wages still was low. With all the things that has increased in this country Social Security benefits is the only thing that has not increased much. Those increases are based on the Gross National Product,meaning if business is good we get an increase. You have to have made quite a bit of money to get a large social security check, I think the base is $600 or $700. You do better by going on disability you get more money.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Every year we discuss this and I learn a lot but some people need to keep their mouths shut about what people can live on or not. Most people make do with what they get. If they were running this Country, we would be in a better position.

I must say I was shocked when I went to SS to ask about Survivor's Benefit at 62. When he told me the amount I would get if I accepted it, I was in shock. I thought I was dreaming. I was expecting about 800-1,000. He asked if I wanted to apply and I said "of course". 

No matter what it is people adjust their way of living with what they have.

Esteemed Contributor

@spud188 wrote:

My SS check is $800 a month

I believe it depends on how much ur yearly salaries were. I didn't make much money - but I worked for 45 years.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@Sage04 wrote:

Every year we discuss this and I learn a lot but some people need to keep their mouths shut about what people can live on or not. Most people make do with what they get. If they were running this Country, we would be in a better position.

I must say I was shocked when I went to SS to ask about Survivor's Benefit at 62. When he told me the amount I would get if I accepted it, I was in shock. I thought I was dreaming. I was expecting about 800-1,000. He asked if I wanted to apply and I said "of course". 

No matter what it is people adjust their way of living with what they have.

For most people --- they can't live on what they get from S/S -- obviously they're being helped out by their families or moving to areas/cities where housing is a lot cheaper. Many people are skipping meals just to pay for their medicines. Why is it that people high up in government make so much $$$$$$$$$$$$$$????? 

Honored Contributor

@pdlinda @Thanks for your post.  It must be extremely difficult to live on that small amount.

My friend’s mother used to be able to do it. She even owned a house.

Esteemed Contributor

@pdlinda wrote:

Same here.  Received notice today.  I, too, received a very minimal increase.  I'd really like to see how they compute the COLA (based upon the rate of inflation). All my basic bills have gone up this year, most especially my electric bill.

@pdlinda

You can find the information how the COLA is calculated with a Google search.

I knew when people received a discount on their car insurance the COLA would be low. 

Two components are the price of energy and the cost of inflation. Low energy prices and low inflation numbers mean a small COLA. 

Super Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

I received a letter from Social Security notifying me next year I’ll be receiving over $400 less every month.

I worked for the government.  When my daughter was born, I quit work and never went back.

The money I get is from my late husband’s.

I asked my daughter why I was getting less and she said it was because my investments made a lot more money, so they reduced the amount.

I’m lucky in that I don’t need it to live on.

However, I know there are people who are expected to live on Social Security money.

How in the world are people supposed to live on $2,000 per month?

Anytime there is a change in your monthly benefit amount (increase or decrease), you will receive a notice explaining that change.