Honored Contributor

@patofl wrote:

@SharkE wrote:

Yeah, we didn't want to bite the bullet, but, when one goes into nursing home they take that one's SS check and you either have to go on private pay or Medicaid to pay for all the rest. Medicare doesn't pay much on nursing home care. It's expensive.

Ours pays up to 230,000 per individual for maximum of 4 yrs. If one dies before and doesn't need it for the full 4 yrs the one remaining can come into what they had left over. We didn't take it out till we were in 60's at the advice of finance man. We have no kids and wouldn't matter if we did they're not gonna pay your bills. LOL  200 for in-home care to stave off

going into nursing home as long as possible.

This way the one at home doesn't lose the home and assets.

I'm sure I'll be told if what i said isn't apple pie order, but, that's the highlights as I remember them. Can't remember if that in home care of 200 is a month or how many times care givers have to come out,etc.

@patofl

Read your policy carefully. Our policy specifically states it only pays if you have been in the hospital at least 3 days first. Our PCP is aware of this and said not to worry , if one of us needs to use it, he'll put us in the hospital under some excuse like adjusting our meds.

That would be Medicare fraud, Dr.could get in big trouble. Any responsible case manager, discharge planner, or social worker would intervene I would hope. 

Honored Contributor

@RetRN......that kind of fraud is done every day.  It is also done with some folks that get on disability too and Medicaid.  I know a couple folks that have done this, and yet nothing is done about it.  No one checks up on them.  And no one reports them.  

It is sad, but that is the way it is.  

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

A three day hospital stay to adjust meds???? People have heart surgery and are out sooner. I think @lovesroses has a PCP that is so dishonest that I wouldn't want him or her taking care of me. What someone does to others, they'll do to you - in this case commit fraud.

Honored Contributor

And she was an ICU nurse, that is downright scary. I do not like corrupt, dishonest people, especially nurses.

Regular Contributor

Oh really. And I suppose it would be "fair" to pay over 20 years for a policy & then not be able to use it on a technicality. And I suppose if this were one of you , that you'd turn it down. YEAH SURE.

Honored Contributor

I am clearly unlike you and believe that honesty is always the best policy. Shame on you. No reputable hospital is going to admit someone for 3 days for medication adjustment, what on earth kind of med would that be?

Honored Contributor

@patofl wrote:

Oh really. And I suppose it would be "fair" to pay over 20 years for a policy & then not be able to use it on a technicality. And I suppose if this were one of you , that you'd turn it down. YEAH SURE.

Insurance IS a gamble isn't it?  The only insurance guaranteed to pay is a life insurance policy.

Is it fair that we have paid for homeowners insurance for over 40 years and never used it?  Maybe when we finally decide where we should retire we can burn it down?  After all why pay for something all those years and get nothing for it.

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter you made the perfect rebuttal. What @patofl calls a technicality is actually a specific clause in an insurance policy and should not be abused, just like your homeowner's example. I'm very disappointed in this poster because I generally think she made valid points when she posted under her previous nic for many years.

Respected Contributor

Anyone who, in today's medical/hospital/insurance climate, thinks that they are going to be  admitted inpatient to a hospital for THREE DAYS without a well defined medical condition is going to be sadly mistaken.

To committ this type of fraud is truly criminal and only contributes to the skyrocketing insurance costs we face today. 

Respected Contributor

@RetRN wrote:

And she was an ICU nurse, that is downright scary. I do not like corrupt, dishonest people, especially nurses.

@RetRN

She isn't a renamed (again) MIA poster originally from Pittsburgh?