Honored Contributor

Re: SS sign in changing again I see

@I am still oxox wrote:

The info abut the changes are on my SS sign in page

Just curious but why do you sign into the website?  I'm assuming that you already receive SS payments.  @I am still oxox

Respected Contributor

It is on their website- asking for email address or # to text to.

Esteemed Contributor

Social Security is constantly improving the way we protect what’s important to you. Beginning June 10, 2017, we will use a second method to check the identification of my Social Security account holders when they register or sign in. You can choose either your cell phone or your email address as your second identification method. Using two ways to identify you when you log on will help better protect your account from unauthorized use and potential identity fraud. Since an email address is already required to use my Social Security, everyone can continue to benefit from the features my Social Security provides. If you plan to select email as your second method, you can ensure that the one-time security code email does not go into your spam or junk folder by adding NO-REPLY@ssa.gov to your contact list.

https://www.ssa.gov/myaccount/message.html

or just go to ssa.gov

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@beckyb1012 Same thing happened to me when I had a Paypal account, I questioned it called CS immediately and was informed it was not them!

Question everything you see in regards to SS, I have never received an email from them, all communication is done through USPS, and might I add they have always been very helpful whenever I have had to call with questions!

EDIT:  I did not even know that SS had a website, I am old fashioned I guess, I would perfer to receive communication through the USPS, 

Honored Contributor

@CareBears wrote:

@beckyb1012 Same thing happened to me when I had a Paypal account, I questioned it called CS immediately and was informed it was not them!

Question everything you see in regards to SS, I have never received an email from them, all communication is done through USPS, and might I add they have always been very helpful whenever I have had to call with questions!

EDIT:  I did not even know that SS had a website, I am old fashioned I guess, I would perfer to receive communication through the USPS, 

Due to that one time years ago I now question all emails for added or revised info.  Making a phone call and being on hold or whatever hoops you have to jump through is worth it for the ease of knowing.  I would have hesitated the first time with SS and called too and probably every time a request was made.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CareBears wrote:

@CareBears   

Usually, the fraud Paypal email giveaway is that their greeting is vague .. "dear customer" or something like that.  The real Paypal always uses your full name as a greeting.

Just FYI to everyone ......  If you get a suspicious Paypal email that looks fake to you ....  forward it immediately to spoof@paypal.com.    Not only do they need to be alerted, but the information in the email will help them disable the pretend website set up to catch unsuspecting customers.  

IMO, It feels good to know you are helping to catch the bad guys!

Respected Contributor

Not all emails from the SSA are legit ... last year, I had to register a complaint because an email I received was bogus:

How can I detect a phishing email pretending to be Social Security?

• Most emails from Social Security will come from a “.gov" email address. If an email address does not end in “.gov”, use caution before opening attachments or clicking on pictures or links in the email.
    • In a few instances, we use marketing firms to raise awareness of Social Security’s online services, and this includes creating a my Social Security account. We allow these firms to send email directly to individuals. Any links you find within these emails should always point to a “.gov/” web address. 
Honored Contributor

I always like to check on the date of my next payment, since it is on the x day of x week which is not always the same date

@tansy wrote:

@I am still oxox wrote:

The info abut the changes are on my SS sign in page

Just curious but why do you sign into the website?  I'm assuming that you already receive SS payments.  @I am still oxox

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Trusted Contributor

The new security measures have been in the newspaper and also online news sites.  It is legitimate.